Architecture + Design
TIPS FOR AN ARCHITECT TO DESIGN A GREEN BUILDING
• The building should be designed for its
local climate and weather.
• The building design should be site
• The natural features on the site must be preserved whether it is the trees, the underground water table, the contours and terrain, etc.
• Design fenestrations for maximised
daylight and cross ventilation.
• Reduce the urban heat island effect, by reducing the exposure of concrete in the building skin and in landscaping.
• For landscaping, reduce non- permeable surfaces like concrete. Promote the use of permeable surfaces like grass pavers that allow rainwater to percolate and recharge the underground water table. • Enhance thermal comfort by reducing heat gain on the building envelope– the walls, the windows, the roof, etc. Consider simple techniques like using rat- trap bonds to add an air- gap to walls, design appropriate shading devices for openings, and add insulation and a reflective surface to the roof.
• Reduce the use of glass or use glass with higher reflectivity or double glazed to reduce heat gain.
• Collect or harvest rainwater for re- use or to recharge the underground water table.
• Conserve water- use within the building and use aerators for taps and dual flushes for WC.
• Use solar water heaters.
• Use solar panels to generate electricity on- site especially when the relevant state has a policy for net- metering.
• Use local building material as much as possible. Balance the requirement against the efficiency offered by the material, lifespan and maintenance requirements.
• Choose materials with a higher recycled content, higher recyclability, reusing salvaged materials and materials that are rapidly renewable such as bamboo. • Compost wet waste in- house and feed it
back into the garden.
• Use native species for landscaping that requires little to no water for irrigation after they have matured
• Opt for paints and finishes with a low
• Use LED lighting.
• Use highly rated equipment for efficient energy performance such as 5- star ACs, refrigerators and pumps.