Highlights of 2014 BJP Election Manifesto
Health Services -
● The last healthcare policy dates back to 2002. India now needs a comprehensive healthcare policy to address the complex healthcare challenges, keeping in view the developments in the healthcare sector and the changing demographics. BJP will initiate the New Health Policy.
● Initiate the ‘National Health Assurance Mission’, with a clear mandate to provide universal healthcare that is not only accessible and affordable, but also effective, and reduces the OOP spending for the common man.
● Education and Training - Will review the role of various professional regulatory bodies in healthcare and consider setting up an overarching lean body for healthcare. High priority will be given to address the shortfall of healthcare professionals.
● Modernize Government hospitals, upgrading infrastructure and latest technologies.
● Reorganize Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in order to converge various departments dealing in healthcare, food and nutrition and pharmaceuticals, for effective delivery of healthcare services.
● Increase the number of medical and paramedical colleges to make India self sufficient in human resources, and set up an AIIMS like institute in every state.
● Move to pre-emptive care model where the focus and thrust will be on child health and prevention.
● School health program would be a major focus area, and health and hygiene will be made a part of the school curriculum.
● Focus on Rural Health care delivery.
● Senior Citizens healthcare would be a special focus area.
● Give high priority to chronic diseases, and will invest in research and development of solutions for chronic diseases like obesity, diabetes, cancer, CVD etc.
● Occupational health programs will be pursued aggressively.
● Utilize the ubiquitous platform of mobile phones for healthcare delivery and set up the ‘National eHealth Authority’ to leverage telemedicine and mobile healthcare for expanding reach and coverage and to define the standards and legal framework for technology driven care. Science and Technology –
● Promoting international science and technology cooperation towards achieving the goals of national development and security, and making it a key element of our international relations.
● Devise schemes, programs and opportunities to encourage the youth to take scientific research and innovation as a career.
● Provide work environment and professional opportunities in fundamental scientific research, to make research careers more appealing, so that the nation can harness the best of brains for scientific research leading to enhancing the national productivity and competitiveness and reverse brain drain.
● Build world class, regional centres of excellence of scientific research in the field of nanotechnology, material sciences, thorium technology and brain research.
● Create an ecosystem for multi-country and interdisciplinary collaborative research, and establish an Intellectual Property Rights Regime which maximizes the incentive for generation and protection of intellectual property for all type of inventors.
● Achieving synergy between industry and scientific research. Autonomous technology transfer organizations will be created as associate organizations of universities and national laboratories to transfer the know-how generated by them to industry. Industry will be encouraged to adopt or support educational and research institutions to help direct science and technology endeavours towards tangible industrial goals.
● Promotion of innovation by creating a comprehensive national system of innovation.
● Indigenous knowledge, based on our long and rich tradition will be further developed and harnessed for the purpose of wealth and employment generation
● To promote science popularization schemes extensively.
● Bring the changes in secondary education to focus on application of science.
● Set an institute of Big data and Analytics for studying the impact of big data across sectors for predictive science.
● To do research for the eradication of tropical diseases. Establish institutes of Technology for Rural Development.
● Establish a Central University dedicated to
● Promote research and application of nuclear science in medicines, industry and agriculture.