SC questions UP govt’s actions
LAKHIMPUR VIOLENCE: Minister’s son skips police summons, issued fresh notice
Dissatisfied with the steps taken by Uttar Pradesh government in the “brutal” murder of eight persons including four farmers at Lakhimpur Kheri, the Supreme Court Friday questioned non-arrest of accused, directed preservation of evidence and mulled transferring probe to another agency, saying “proof of the pudding is in the eating”.
Without mincing words, a bench headed by Chief Justice N V Ramana said, “the law must take its course against all accused” and “the government has to take all remedial steps in this regard to inspire confidence” in the investigation of “brutal murder of eight persons”. The UP government will have “to make another pudding and make it palatable”, senior lawyer Harish Salve, appearing for the state, said, adding that whatever is done so far is not satisfactory.
He assured the bench that “between today and tomorrow whatever is the shortfall (in the probe) will be filled up because the message has gone”.
‘My son is innocent’
The Uttar Pradesh Police issued a fresh notice to Union minister Ajay Mishra’s son Ashish Mishra asking him to appear before it by 11 am on Saturday in connection with the violence, after he missed his 10 am deadline on Friday.
Hours later, the minister told reporters his son was not well and that “he will appear before the police tomorrow and give his statement and evidence as he is innocent”.