Business Traveller (India)
TEQUILA’S SEVEN FACTS
• Tequila was first produced in the 16th century near the town of Tequila in Mexico.
• All 85,642 acres of Agave Landscape and Ancient Industrial Facilities of Tequila is safeguarded as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
• It is believed that the Spaniards made the first tequila by trial and error.
• Before the discovery of the spirit, native people chewed on the heart of the blue agave plant as a sweet.
• In 2016, Mexico produced 273.3 million litres of tequila. (Source: Statista 2017)
• In 2016, Mexico exported 197.9 million litres of tequila. (Source: Statista 2017)
• The world’s most expensive tequila bottle
(as per Guinness World Records) is made by Tequila Ley .925 and was sold to a private collector in Mexico City on July 20, 2006 for US$2,25,000/`14,437,720.