As we can now understand that the wastewaters generated from the mine sites cause severe environmental concerns not only for the aquatic life but also for humans inhabiting those areas. The raw wastewater generated from the mine site is not only acidic but also contains dissolved solids and metals that are unsafe for generic use. Therefore, several treatment techniques have been practised. However, more research is under progress to provide a potential solution. Currently, the use of sulphate reducing bacteria (SRB) along with sulphur oxidizing bacteria (SOB) has been an area of potential research study for the safe treatment of AMD. We hope that more studies in this regard will be available in the coming future that will reduce the sulphate content in AMD as well as aid in safe removal and recovery of heavy metals.
The authors would like to acknowledge SERB, India for the award of National Post Doctoral Scholarship (File No. PDF/2017/000036) to Dr. Sandeep Panda and the Director, IICT, Hyderabad, India for extending the laboratory facilities to conduct research under the fellowship scheme. References
1. Panda S, Akcil A, Pradhan N, Deveci H (2015) Current scenario of chalcopyrite bioleaching: A review on the recent advances to its heap-leach technology. Bioresour Technol 196: 694 – 706.
2. Akcil A, Koldas S (2006) Acid mine drainage (AMD): causes, treatment and case studies. J Clean Prod 14: 1139–1145.
3. Chen L, Huang L, Mendez-Garcia C, Kuang J, Hua Z, Liu J, Shu W (2016) Microbial communities, processes and functions in acid mine drainage ecosystems. Curr Opin Biotech 38: 150–158.
4. Johnson DB, Hallberg KB (2005) Acid mine drainage remediation options: A review. Sci Total Env 338: 3-14.
5. Vyawahre A, Rai S (2016) Acid Mine Drainage: A Case Study of An Indian Coal Mine. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology (IJSRSET), 2 (2): 1297-1301.
6. https:// www. ibef. org/ download/ Metals- and- MiningReport-July-2018.pdf; https://www.ibef.org /industry/metals-and-mining-presentation.
7. http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/ photo/ pyrite-weathering/
8. http://www.miningsafety.co.za/ newscontent/ 280/ Acidmine-drainage-poses-risks
10. Younger et al., 2002.