• Based on the overall test findings, the top performer Nature Fresh. Next in ranking are Kanak, Reliance and Ahaar.
• The value-for-money brand is Reliance – its unit price per kg is Rs 32.
• All 10 brands passed in the physical and chemical tests.
• Aflatoxins and lead were not detected in any of the brands.
• All brands passed the tests for pesticide residues (150 pesticides).
• The bacterium E. coli was not detected in any of the brands.
• Coliform as well as yeast and mould were found in most of the brands and therefore these may not be safe for direct consumption. Note that the national standards have not set any requirement for these parameters.