Several sportspersons have found love on the field itself. Take this quiz on famous Indian sports couples.
Write with your suggestions, questions (with answers) to [email protected]
INDIA’S SPORTS COUPLES
1. P. Kashyap and Saina Nehwal are currently India’s most famous badminton couple. However, much before, P. Gopichand got married to a eight times Indian national champion, who also represented India at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Name her?
2. Commonwealth Gold Medal winner in shooting Heena Sidhu is married to a fellow shooter who also happens to be Heena’s coach. Name him?
3. The Singh sisters — Priyanka, Divya, Prashanti and Akanksha — from Jaunpur in Uttar Pradesh have all represented India in basketball. One of the sisters, Pratima is married to another India sportsperson. Who?
4. Some of India’s top female wrestlers have gone on to marry fellow wrestlers. Vinesh Phogat is married to Somveer Rathi and Geeta Phogat tied the knot to wrestler Pawan Kumar. Who did Olympic medal winner Sakshi Malik get married to?
5. Eight times national Table tennis Champion Kamlesh Mehta is married to another TT player who is a fellow Arjuna awardee. Name her?
6. Easy one. The first Indian woman to be ranked among the top 10 squash players in the world is married to a cricketer. Name both?
7. Nirmal Kaur, former captain of the Indian volleyball tame is married to another sportsperson, a legend in his field. Identify?
8. Sania Mirza is the most famous Indian sports woman to marry a Pakistani sportsman. Way back in 1992, two top golfers from India and Pakistan decided to get married to each other. Name both?
1. The word amethyst comes from the Greek meaning ‘not drunk’. Why? (A.V. Krishnan, Chennai)
2. The motto of the Indian Air Force is ‘Nabha Sparsham Deeptham’
means ‘touch the sky with glory’ has been taken from which sacred book? (Partha Sarkar, Kolkata)
3. A number of ancient manuscripts have survived only as palimpsests. What are palimpsests? (Philip Joshua, Secunderabad)
4. He graduated from IIT, Bombay in Computer science in 1995 with the President of India Gold Medal for being the topper in his batch. He has also composed a music album titled Yaadon Ke
Silsile. Name this person, who is currently on a hot seat in one of India’s most watched institutions? (Dee Surendranath, Hyderabad)
5. It is rare for 21st century sportsperson to excel at two sports simultaneously. This Aussie played in the Big Bash league in
2015 and is currently the highest ranked women’s Aussie player in both doubles and singles. Name her? (B.K. Harinath, Mysuru)
6. The causeway that forms the gateway to Jaffna from rest of Sri Lanka is named after an animal. What is the name of the cuaseway? (T.V.S. Rao, Vishakapatnam) 7. Manam was the last film of Akkineni Nageswara Rao (ANR) before he passed away in
2014. Which Hindi movie actor played a cameo role in this Telugu movie that lasted less than a minute? (U.N.Murthy, Secunderabad)
8. Which island, now part of Australia, first discovered by Richard Rowe Thomas, is known for its annual migration of 40 million crabs from land to the sea every October?
P. Kashyap and Saina Nehwal