2 kids elec­tro­cuted near Kan­di­vali, by­standers watch

DNA (Daily News & Analysis) Mumbai Edition - - FRONT PAGE - Anagha Sawant [email protected]­dia.net

Two chil­dren died of elec­tro­cu­tion at Vim­ladevi Chawl in Kan­di­vali East on Mon­day night as pre-mon­soon show­ers lashed the city even as on­look­ers stood help­less. Over­come by a fear of be­ing elec­tro­cuted, the on­look­ers pre­ferred to stay away rather than lend­ing help to the duo.

As pre-mon­soon show­ers lashed the city, the de­ceased duo iden­ti­fied as Rushabh Ti­wari (10) and Tushar Jha (11) were play­ing in the wa­ter-logged lane near their house when they came in con­tact with a live wire.

Ac­cord­ing to the res­i­dents of Vim­ladevi Chawl, both the chil­dren were ly­ing in the wa­ter for a few min­utes after be­ing elec­tro­cuted, yet no one dared to res­cue them in the fear of be­ing elec­tro­cuted too.“one girl tried to help them with a wooden stick but she in vain,” said a res­i­dent.

Both Rushabh and Tushar were stu­dents of Thakur Vidya Mandir High School. “Both of them went to school on Mon­day and were back home by evening. Since it was the first shower of the sea­son, they wanted to go out and en­joy in the rain. Most of the chil­dren from the chawl were play­ing in the rain out­side the chawl. Nobody re­alised that Rushabh and Tushar had moved away from the chawl to play in the wa­ter,” said Govind Prasad, another res­i­dent.

Ac­cord­ing to Dr Lekharaj, Chief Med­i­cal Of­fi­cer (CMO) of Shatabdi Hos­pi­tal, both boys were brought dead to the hos­pi­tal. The bod­ies have been sent for post-mortem.

Blam­ing the elec­tric­ity de­part­ment for the in­ci­dent, lo­cals said that they had been com­plain­ing about elec­tric wires and elec­tric me­ters hang­ing open dan­ger­ously out­side ev­ery house­hold and shops in the area, but in vain.

Pic­ture for rep­re­sen­ta­tion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.