2-yr-old, pulled out from borewell after 109 hrs, de­clared dead

DNA (Daily News & Analysis) Mumbai Edition - - FRONT PAGE - Ni­tika Ma­hesh­wari cor­re­spon­[email protected]­dia.net Zee Me­dia News­room

Chandi­garh/san­grur: A two-year-old boy, who had fallen into an un­used borewell in a field at Bhag­wan­pura vil­lage in Pun­jab’s San­grur dis­trict five days ago, was res­cued at 5:12 am on Tues­day only to be de­clared dead later.

Stuck in an over 120-foot­deep borewell for 109 hours, a two-year-old tod­dler was de­clared dead after be­ing res­cued Tues­day morn­ing in San­grur dis­trict. With his hands clamped with a rope, Fate­hveer Singh was brought out after the op­er­a­tion to res­cue him through a par­al­lel tun­nel dug up closeby failed. A team of doc­tors was sta­tioned at the in­ci­dent site to pro­vide med­i­cal as­sis­tance to Singh as soon as he was pulled out. An am­bu­lance equipped with a ven­ti­la­tor was also sta­tioned there. The kid was rushed to Chandi­garh but he was de­clared brought dead by the doc­tors.

Fate­hveer Singh was res­cued by the NDRF and lo­cal volunteers. He was rushed to PGIMER in Chandi­garh in an am­bu­lance amid po­lice se­cu­rity. PGIMER of­fi­cial Dr Ut­tam Thakur said post­mortem of the body was car­ried out and then the body handed over to the fam­ily. The state had a chopper on standby near the site, but the child was taken to a hos­pi­tal about 140 kms from the vil­lage by road as the chopper couldn’t fly be­fore 5:40 am, said Deputy Com­mis­sioner San­grur Ghan­shyam Thori.

As per the in­for­ma­tion given by PGI Chandi­garh, Fate­hveer Singh was brought to the pe­di­atric emer­gency ward, at 7.24 AM with an al­leged his­tory of fall into a borewell. On ad­mis­sion, he had no pulse, no res­pi­ra­tion and no car­diac ac­tiv­ity, hence the child was de­clared brought dead. The po­lice moved a re­quest for the post­mortem and sub­mit­ted in­quest papers in the De­part­ment of Foren­sic Medicine, PGI. A panel of doc­tors con­ducted the au­topsy and the ex­am­i­na­tion was con­cluded at 11.15 AM. Post­mortem find­ings are sug­ges­tive of death oc­cur­ring a few days back. The de­tailed post­mortem re­port is be­ing pre­pared. The mor­tal re­mains of the child were handed over to po­lice.

The Na­tional Dis­as­ter Re­sponse Force (NDRF) team, which con­ducted the res­cue op, had ini­tially thought of us­ing a rope to pull Fate­hveer out but went against it sus­pect­ing in­juries to the child. How­ever, on June 6, a rope was sus­pended in the borewell which had even gripped the hands of the child, but he could not be pulled out. Deputy Com­mis­sioner San­grur Ghan­shyam Thori said, “This method was fol­lowed on day one, but the team could not suc­ceed and it was tried al­most ev­ery day, but as the child couldn’t be re­trieved via clamp­ing, they were fol­low­ing another method of cre­at­ing a par­al­lel borewell and reach­ing the borewell via a tun­nel.”

Res­cue team dur­ing fi­nal stages of op­er­a­tion on Mon­day night

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.