Raid on ‘killer’ China man­jha after kid dies

DNA (Delhi) - - FRONT PAGE - Kar­tikey Dev Singh cor­re­spon­[email protected]­dia.net

Jaipur: A nine-year-old girl from Kard­hani in Jaipur died due to elec­tro­cu­tion while fly­ing kites on Jan­uary 5. The cul­prit, po­lice found, was the China-made man­jha (kite string) that was coated with pow­dered metal. It con­ducted elec­tric­ity when the man­jha came in con­tact with a high­t­en­sion wire. Tra­di­tional man­jha, made in In­dia, is cov­ered with pow­dered glass.

See­ing how life-threat­en­ing Chi­nese man­jha can be, the dis­trict ad­min­is­tra­tion has banned its sale and use in Jaipur. Fol­low­ing Aafreen Bano’s death, the po­lice be­gan raid­ing and con­fis­cat­ing Chi­nese strings from kite sell­ers in Jaipur on Fri­day.

“The string came into the mar­ket a few years back, and its pop­u­lar­ity has in­creased

since,” said a po­lice of­fi­cer.

Aafreen’s fa­ther Ashraf Khan was wit­ness to his daugh­ter’s tragic death. The fam­ily lives on Sar­war Vatika area on Ni­waru road, and at about 4.30 pm on Satur­day,

the child went to the ter­race to fly kites. Soon, the fam­ily heard the lit­tle girl’s scream and then a si­lence. Her fam­ily rushed to the ter­race and found her on the floor in spasms.

“Re­al­is­ing what was tran­spir­ing, they used a wooden stick to un­clasp her hand from the string. “Aafreen im­me­di­ately fell un­con­scious and the fam­ily mem­bers called the am­bu­lance, which took her to Sawai Man Singh Hos­pi­tal. Aafreen fought for her life for four days, but suc­cumbed to her in­juries on 9th Jan­uary,” said of­fi­cials.

“Aafreen’s kite had a China-made man­jha,” says an of­fi­cial. “The kite nose-dived into an elec­tric wire, and the cur­rent flowed through it and into the child.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.