Syria withdrawal has begun, says US-led coalition
Idlib: The US-led coalition in Syria has begun withdrawing its troops, a spokesman said Friday, less than a month after US President Donald Trump made his shock announcement.
The force which has battled the Islamic State group since 2014 started scaling down but it remained unclear how long the drawdown process would last.
“CJTF-OIR has begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria,” spokesman Colonel Sean Ryan said in a statement, referring to the US-led anti-jihadist force. “Out of concern for operational security, we will not discuss specific timelines, locations or troops movements,” he said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the coalition had started scaling down its presence at Rmeilan airfield in Hasakeh province in Syria.
“On Thursday, some American forces withdrew from Rmeilan military base,” Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Britain-based monitoring organisation, said. “This is the first such pullout of American forces since the US president’s announcement” of army withdrawal from Syria last month, he said.
Rahaf Mohammed alQunun’s attempt to flee the ultra-conservative kingdom has been embraced by rights groups as a beacon of defiance against repression.
Thai authorities initially
A man bikes past a graffiti with the word ‘vote’, as the first national election since the military seized power in 2014 coup is set for next month in Bangkok, Thailand on Friday