Hindustan Times ST (Jaipur)
India won’t compromise its digital sovereignty, says Union minister
Union IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on Saturday defended the new rules on digital content, saying that the guidelines enforced last month are meant to prevent abuse and misuse, and that social media users have “nothing to fear” when it comes to privacy. “These guidelines do not deal with the use of social media. We permit criticism against the government… but the issue is the abuse and misuse,” he said.
When asked about the impasse between the compawhich nies and the government, Prasad said that the firms are free to do business in India, but they must follow Indian laws.
On the issue of privacy, he said only the information “already in the public domain”, “incite a riot, mob lynching, impinge on the sovereignty and security of the country, show a woman in bad light or show child sexual abuse”, will be sought.
The rules, the minister said, seek the appointment of an India-based grievance redressal officer, compliance officer to deal with the rules and regulations and a nodal contact with the government.
Prasad said it is “imperative that there is a properly framed regime to find out the person and institutional bodies who are the originators of such content”.