Peace process with India is suspended: Pak envoy
Abdul Basit says NIA unlikely to be given access to Jaish chief
Pakistani envoy Abdul Basit said on Thursday the dialogue with India is suspended as there are no plans for the foreign secretaries to meet, while hinting that the NIA will not be given access to JeM chief Masood Azhar for the Pathankot attack probe.
The assault on the Pathankot airbase, blamed on Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), disrupted fresh efforts to place troubled bilateral ties on an even keel and Basit’s remarks reflected a new low in the diplomatic impasse.
The arrest of alleged RAW agent Kulbhushan Jadhav in Balochistan also triggered a row between the two sides. China’s decision last week to block India’s move at the UN to designate Azhar a terrorist has added to tensions.
“I would say the dialogue is suspended,” Basit said during an interaction at the Foreign Correspondents Club, responding to a question on the status of the comprehensive dialogue announced by external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and Pakistan’s foreign policy chief Sartaj Aziz last December.
“There is no meeting scheduled between the foreign secretaries... Let’s see if we are able to commence the dialogue process,” he said.
Basit created a stir by saying a Pakistani JIT visit to India to probe the Pathankot attack was not based on reciprocity — the complete opposite of what external affairs ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said several times though the day. “The visit of the Pakistan JIT was not based on reciprocity, but on a spirit of cooperation,” Basit said when asked whether an NIA team would be allowed to visit Pakistan.
CONTINUED ON P12
I would say the dialogue is suspended. There is no meeting scheduled between the foreign secretaries... Let’s see if we are able to commence the dialogue process. ABDUL BASIT, Pak High Commissioner to India