SIX WORKERS DIE IN SLEEP AS BAKERY CATCHES FIRE IN PUNE
PUNE: A fire broke out at a bakery in Pune on Friday morning, suffocating six workers as the only exit was locked. The three owners of the bakery have been arrested.
Fire brigade officials suspect short-circuit as the cause of the fire at Bakes N cakes, a recently opened bakery on the ground floor of a nine-storey building at Kondhwa. “We got a call at 4.45am. Three fire tenders were sent to the spot,” said a fire official.
When the fire brigade team reached the spot, one of the owners told them that six workers were sleeping on the mezzanine floor of the shop, which was locked.
“By the time the door could be opened, the workers were charred to death,” said the official.