Unidentified youths ‘assault’ Shingar blast witness; booked
Division number 3 police have registered a case against four unidentified turbaned youths on charge of threatening and assaulting Mohammad Sabar of Gulabi Bagh colony on the Tibba road.
Sabar is a witness in the case of Shingar cinema bomb blast that occurred on October 14, 2007, in which at least six were killed and 33 injured. Sabar, who is employed as a clerk with a lawyer at the new court complex, was proceeding to the court around 8.15am on Friday to record his statement when he was assaulted.
“As I reached near a nullah in Kashmir Nagar, four unidentified turbaned youths riding two motorcycles blocked my way. They asked me not to get my statement recorded in the case. When I resented, they overpowered me and punched and kicked me,” said Sabar.
“The accused fled after threatening me of dire consequences after I raised the alarm. I rushed to division number 3 police and filed a complaint there,” he added.
Sub-inspector Paramjit Singh of division number 3 police said the youths were in the age group of 25-30 and wearing kurta-pyjamas. The police are trying to identify the accused. The police had arrested Akali Dal Panch Pradhani leader Daljit Singh Bittu on September 21 on charge of threatening witnesses in the Shingar cinema blast case. A woman witness had filed a police complaint in this regard earlier on.