Millennium Post (Kolkata)
N Dinajpur: Removal of dist prez to cost BJP dear, say party workers
KOLKATA: The unceremonious removal of BJP's North Dinajpur unit president just about a week ahead of the polls there, has created widespread resentment among the party workers. Biswajit Lahiri, president of North Dinajpur unit of the party and an old-timer was removed on Tuesday.
He was replaced by Basudeb Sarkar who is believed to be a close associate of Debashree Roy Chowdhury, party's MP. Sarkar was seen with Amit Shah when he visited the district for a roadshow on Monday.
The decision has created widespread flutter among party's rank and file who have threatened not to work for the party's nominees if the decision is not changed. Earlier, the BJP workers had held demonstrations demanding withdrawal of party's nominees. They had garlanded the photograph of Debashree Roy Chowdhury with shoes and tore off her posters.
Party leaders said some local leaders had informed the central leadership that the rebels had been backed by Lahiri. The central leadership did not conduct any inquiry and removed him. They maintained that the party would have to pay a very heavy price for the last minute change of the district president.
NEW DELHI: The Intelligence Bureau has told the Delhi High Court that it has not prepared or submitted any report to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on the 2006 Mumbai train blasts.
The submission has been made by the IB in an affidavit filed pursuant to the court's direction in January this year to state on record that it had not prepared any report in 2009 or shortly thereafter on the bombings of July 11, 2006 when seven RDX bombs ripped through as many Western line local trains in Mumbai killing 189 people and injuring 829.
"It is respectfully submitted that no report was prepared and/or submitted in 2009 or any time shortly thereafter by the IB to MHA in respect of the 7/11 Mumbai bomb blasts," the agency has said in its affidavit, filed through central government counsel Rahul Sharma.
The IB, also represented by advocate C K Bhatt, has further said that the case was investigated by the AntiTerrorist Squad (ATS) of Maharashtra Police.
Justice Prathiba M Singh on January 27 had asked IB to record on an affidavit that it had not prepared any report in 2009 or shortly thereafter on the 2006 Mumbai train bombings case.
The order came on a plea moved by Ehtesham Qutubuddin Siddique, who has been awarded capital punishment for the July 11, 2006 serial blasts, seeking an IB report of 2009 purportedly calling for review of evidence in the case.
IB, in its affidavit, has said that Siddique's claims were based on news reports which cannot be admitted or recognized as an official submission.
The court had called for an affidavit after noting that the agency had earlier told the high court, in an earlier round of litigation on the same issue, that it was exempted from providing the report under the Right to Information (RTI) Act. In the earlier matter, the high court had said the Central Information Commission (CIC) "erroneously" concluded that the information sought by Siddique did not pertain to allegations of corruption or human rights violation and asked it to consider his request afresh.
However, before the CIC, the IB stated that there was no such report as claimed by the convict and the commission, thereafter, dismissed his plea on June 11, 2019.