The preservatives, moisturisers and fragrances in baby wipes after all are chemicals and can be classified as allergens. While they may seem harmless, their continuous use may make the baby’s skin more sensitive which can lead to rashes and skin allergies and infections. Some studies have shown that regularly use of baby wipes may cause allergic and contact dermatitis.
Baby wipes are not easily degraded making them a liability on the environment. If you are environmentally conscious, you may want to stick to reusable cotton cloths.
While baby wipes are convenient and soft on the skin, you must read the contents on the package before buying. Avoid buying wipes that contain alcohol and fragrances. They tend to irritate the skin and may cause skin allergies.