How to Take Care your Liver
LDisclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only. It does not intend to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases. Get the help of a certified medical professional or a certified dietician before making any changes to your diet or exercise regimen.
iver is a very sensitive organ and it is a part of our digestive system. Our digestive system is called our second brain, as the brain controls our whole body. Likewise, our digestive system controls our whole body.
It is located in the upper right-hand portion of the abdominal cavity beneath the diaphragm. It is dark reddish in color and weighs 1.4kg to 1.6kg in men and 1.2 kg to 1.4kg in women.
The liver performs more than 300 functions in the body. The primary functions are:
1)Metabolic Function – a) It converts food into energy and our body utilizes the energy for various functions of the body. b)It secretes bile and certain proteins for blood plasma c)Production of cholesterol
2)Excretory Function – It removes toxins. It secretes bile which carries away the waste products from the liver.
3)Storage function - It stores carbohydrates, proteins, and fat so that they can be utilized whenever the body needs them.
It converts glucose into glycogen which can be converted into glucose whenever the need arises. The liver stores iron and also converts poisonous ammonia into urea. Cleaning of drugs (medicines) and other poisonous substances, regulates blood clotting, resisting infections by boosting immunity factors and removing bacteria. The harmful substances are excreted into bile or blood.
According to WHO, liver disease such as liver sclerosis is one of the major reasons for fatality and this problem can be seen in all age groups.
1) Skin and eyes appear yellow, abdominal pain and swelling, chronic fatigue, and acidity
2) Swelling in legs and ankles 3) Pale stool color and indigestion 4) Dark Urine color 5) Nausea or vomiting
6) Diarrhea along with lack of appetite and weight loss
Gradation of liver ailment 1) Fatty Liver – Liver ailments start with fatty liver. This is of two types a. Alcoholic fatty liver b. Non-alcoholic fatty liver c. Inflammation d. Liver cirrhosis e. Liver cancer
To avoid liver ailments one must maintain a healthy lifestyle
1) Avoid OTC (over the counter)drugs like paracetamol and pain killers
2) Drink alcohol moderately
3) Exercise - It promotes general health for every organ
4) Avoid excessive fat – Can make it difficult for the liver to function and lead to fatty liver
5) Practice safe sex - Use protection to avoid STD’s like hepatitis B & C
6) Vaccinate yourself for hepatitis B&C as well as malaria
If you have any symptoms of the liver problem you should go for a liver checkup and I would recommend Liver fuel of OK lifecare which has the following ingredients:
1) Milk Thistle with Dandelion – It improves the damage of the cells and swelling, faulty enzyme function,
accumulation of toxins improves the digestive system, improves the function of the gall bladder, and reduces kidney problems
2) Kutti Extract – It balances vaat, pitta and kaph
3) Peppermint Extract – It works as an antiseptic, antibacterial, and natural pain killer
4) Turmeric root extract – It is a natural detoxification agent. It helps in the production of the liver enzymes
5) Chicory root extract – it strengthens the digestive system, reduces acidity, and increases the number of probiotic bacteria
6) Methionine – It reduces fat in the liver
Along with the supplement, you would also need to change your diet plan
1) Reduce alcohol, fat, salt, sugar, and red meat
2) Take oats and nuts
3) Take a Gluten-free diet like multigrain
4) Take tea and coffee in moderation (you can replace milk tea with green tea as it is rich in antioxidants)
5) Blueberry, purple grapes, fish, broccoli, tofu, avocado, sunflower seed, garlic, and green tea for less fat absorption
In the case of liver problems, most of the symptoms occur only in the later stage so it is wise to get tested regularly with a blood test as soon as the problem is diagnosed, get it treated.