NCW steps in Haryana gangrape; 3 still on run
Chandigarh/ New Delhi, Sept. 15: The National Commission for Women stepped in Saturday as an Army man and two others accused of raping a young woman in Haryana's Mahendragarh district three days ago continued to evade arrest.
A top commander said the Army will help the police in the probe.
The Haryana police set up a special investigation team and announced a reward of ` 1 lakh for information leading to their arrest.
The victim’s father has said 8 or 10 men may have raped her but she could identify only three of them.
The woman, a school topper who had been felicitated by the government, was abducted at a bus stop in Kanina town on Wednesday while shewas on the way to a coaching class, police said.
She was then allegedly drugged and gangraped at a secluded spot.
Haryana’s Director General of Police B. S. Sandhu confirmed Saturday that one of the accused is an Army man posted in Rajasthan.
A police team has been sent there, “and I hope that he will be arrested today,” he told reporters.
Sandhu said the army man was on leave and expected to rejoin later in the day. In Jaipur, Lt Gen Cherish Mathson, who heads the South Western Command, said the Army will help bring the rape accused to book. “We do not shelter criminals. We would facilitate in searching out the accused,” he told reporters.