Amol Palekar hits back at NGMA, storms out of meet after his remarks spark row
Veteran actor Amol Palekar, who was last week interrupted during his speech by some members of the National Gallery of Modern Art ( NGMA) in Mumbai, on Sunday said that the director of the NGMA told him that he should have informed her what he was going to speak before the programme. He said that he was only trying to seek reasons behind the cancellation of retrospectives of two senior artists.
Retrospective is an exhibition or compilation showing the development of an artist’s work over a period of time.
At the opening of an exhibition in the memory of artist Prabhakar Barwe on Friday evening, Palekar was repeatedly interrupted during his speech by some NGMA members. A video available on social media showed Palekar criticising the ministry of culture for reportedly scrapping the advisory committees at the gallery’s Mumbai and Bengaluru centres.
The actor- filmmaker told reporters in Pune on Sunday that the artistes’ advisory committee at NGMA had approved holding of retrospectives of three artists, of whom Prabhakar Barwe’s work was inaugurated.
“But I came to know
that without any communication to the committee, the next two retrospectives have been cancelled by Mumbai NGMA’s new director Anita Rupavataram. I wanted to raise these issues. How and when these decisions were taken, we wanted to know,” he said.
“It is shocking. Propriety of my comments is being objected to by NGMA. As I was talking about NGMA at their own venue and invited by the gallery itself, how can it be improper?” he wondered.
The NGMA denied Mr Palekar’s allegation that the advisory panel of the gallery’s Mumbai and Bengaluru centres have been scrapped.
NGMA’s director general Adwaita Gadanayak said, “The advisory committees of NGMA Mumbai, Bangaluru and Delhi have not been dissolved. Their terms have ended recently and they are in the process of being reconstituted.”