Click your way through prop­erty ser­vices

You can get a lot of hous­ing-re­lated govern­ment ser­vices done on­line

The Hindu Business Line - - YOUR MONEY - MEERA SIVA

If you are a home owner or con­sid­er­ing buy­ing one, deal­ing with govern­ment agen­cies to get doc­u­ments, make pay­ments or file com­plaints is a has­sle that might be wor­ry­ing you. But in the last few years, at least a few of the func­tions have been moved on­line to ease the process.

Prop­erty is a State sub­ject and hence the de­part­ments that deal with land and houses, fees and rules dif­fer from State to State. Be sure to check the ap­pli­ca­ble web­site. States also pro­vide in­for­ma­tion in re­gional lan­guages. For ex­am­ple, in Ut­tarak­hand and Mad­hya Pradesh, the doc­u­ments are in Hindi. Some oth­ers States such as Tamil Nadu pro­vide in­for­ma­tion in Tamil and English.

Get doc­u­ments

Many State gov­ern­ments let you view and print land records on­line. Ut­tarak­hand, for ex­am­ple, gives in­for­ma­tion such as the size of the land, for all ar­eas in­clud­ing ru­ral ones. In Ra­jasthan, you can view and print a Jam­a­bandi doc­u­ment for any piece of land on­line. The time of your ob­tain­ing the doc­u­ment is printed for ref­er­ence.

Some States such as Tamil Nadu pro­vide other doc­u­ments as well. You can view patta copy, A-Reg­is­ter Ex­tract and the ex­tract from the Town Sur­vey Land Reg­is­ter (TSLR) doc­u­ment for a given sur­vey num­ber and lo­ca­tion in­clud­ing taluk and block. In Kar­nataka you can view Record of Rights, Te­nancy and Crops (for agri­cul­tural land), mu­ta­tion reg­is­ter and sta­tus.

In Ma­ha­rash­tra, the Ma­hab­hulekh web­site pro­vides land record doc­u­ments (known as 7/12 or Sat­bara Utara) and prop­erty card (Mal­matta Pa­trak), which gives the record of land own­er­ship his­tory.

In Ker­ala, you can search for prop­erty de­tails in­clud­ing owner in­for­ma­tion and any dues to be paid, at the San­chaya web­site by key­ing in the prop­erty ID.

Ver­ify prop­erty

Some prop­erty-re­lated ver­i­fi­ca­tions can also be done dig­i­tally. For ex­am­ple, in West Ben­gal, you can check if a given land is owned pri­vately or by the govern­ment, based on the land records. In Haryana, you can search for court records that pro­vide in­for­ma­tion on whether it has been dis­posed, at­tached or stayed. This can be used to ver­ify if the prop­erty is clear of any court is­sues.

You can also go on­line to get an en­cum­brance cer­tifi­cate (EC) which gives in­for­ma­tion on the mone­tary and le­gal li­a­bil­ity of the prop­erty. It is im­por­tant to ver­ify this be­fore buy­ing land, and is re­quired by banks for a loan. In Tamil Nadu, you can fill out a form with prop­erty de­tails such as sur­vey num­ber, sub-di­vi­sion, zone, dis­trict, vil­lage and the Sub Reg­is­ter Of­fice it be­longs to, when ap­ply­ing for EC. The sys­tem gen­er­ates a ref­er­ence num­ber which can be used to col­lect the doc­u­ment at the Sub-Reg­is­ter Of­fice. There is also an op­tion to get it de­liv­ered by post.

Other ser­vices

Many States have the fa­cil­ity to pay your prop­erty taxes on­line. In Kar­nataka, you can pay taxes and no­tify any al­ter­ations to the prop­erty (such as change in area, te­nancy change) on­line.

You can also ini­ti­ate the process of chang­ing records with a few clicks. In West Ben­gal, for ex­am­ple, you can ap­ply for mu­ta­tion (change of own­er­ship) by filling out a form on­line. Like­wise, you can also ap­ply for con­ver­sion of land use, from, say, agri­cul­tural res­i­den­tial.

Other govern­ment per­mis­sions can also be sought dig­i­tally. In

Kar­nataka, if you wish to pur­chase agri­cul­tural land for in­dus­trial pur­poses, you can di­rectly raise a re­quest us­ing the project de­tails. Once the process is com­pleted, you can also get a copy of the per­mis­sion or­der elec­tron­i­cally. If you want to book an ap­point­ment to reg­is­ter a prop­erty, Haryana lets you check avail­able slots in the next 60 days and book on­line.

With the im­ple­men­ta­tion of the Real Es­tate (Reg­u­la­tion and De­vel­op­ment) Act (RERA), nearly all the States have a por­tal with a to list of reg­is­tered projects and agents. The sites pro­vide de­tailed in­for­ma­tion on the de­vel­oper and the project in­clud­ing any pend­ing is­sues or cases.

You can also look up data such as RERA com­plaints filed and their cur­rent sta­tus in­clud­ing ques­tions raised and judge­ment.

This is very handy when you have an is­sue with a de­vel­oper or, bet­ter yet, to un­der­stand prob­lem ar­eas and avoid it ahead of time. You can also file your com­plaints on­line. Typ­i­cally, in­for­ma­tion such as name, con­tact in­for­ma­tion and de­tails of the is­sue and sup­port­ing doc­u­ments and pay­ment are re­quired.

The amount varies with State — many in­clud­ing Delhi, Andhra Pradesh and Te­lan­gana, charge ₹1,000 while some such as Tamil Nadu and Ma­ha­rash­tra charge ₹5,000. When you get a judge­ment, you can also file for an ap­peal, if needed, by pay­ing the re­quired fees on­line.

The writer is an in­de­pen­dent fi­nan­cial con­sul­tant Re­quest changes Pay prop­erty taxes

Ob­tain land/other doc­u­ment copies

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.