Sri Lanka resumes Easter blasts probe despite resistance from President
Despite strong objection by President Maithripala Sirisena, the Sri Lankan government on Tuesday began the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) investigation into the security lapses surrounding suicide attacks on the Easter Sunday that killed 258 people including 11 Indians.
President Sirisena, who is the head of the Cabinet, warned last week that he would not attend the Cabinet unless the government took immediate action to halt the Parliamentary investigation.
The PSC began hearing testimony from Muslim leaders who said they repeatedly warned the authorities against radicalisation. The committee summoned former Governor of the Western province Azath Sally to testify before it.
The Cabinet meeting was not called by Sirisena, officials said. President Sirisena last week asked the Cabinet to halt the hearings, citing national security concerns.
He said it was uncalled for and a serious threat to national security as the top intelligence personnel are identified through the media. He said he would not allow any serving defence official to testify before the PSC.
He wrote to Speaker Karu Jayasuriya urging a halt to the PSC. He, however, replied that the PSC was a Parliamentary issue and it would proceed.
On intelligence warnings
Sirisena has insisted that as Minister of Defence and Law and Order he was unaware of precise intelligence warnings from India about the attack on April 21.
He suspended police chief Pujith Jayasundara and dismissed his top defence official Hemasiri Fernando after it was found that there were intelligence failures before the attacks.
Sirisena said that none of the serving officers would be authorised by him to testify in future.
Jayasuriya stressed that all officials are bound by Parliamentary privileges and they would be compelled to respond to summons by the PSC.