Abducted priest is safe, says e- mail
D. J. Walter Scott
Fr. Alexis Prem Kumar, abducted by Taliban militants in Afghanistan a week ago, is ‘ safe’ according to an e- mail from the Jesuit Refugee Service ( JRS) South Asia Director.
The JRS South Asia Director, Fr. Stan Fernandez, had sent the e- mail to Kennedy, JRS Group superior at the De- Britto Higher secondary school, Devakottai.
Talking to The Hindu , A. Albert Manoharan, brother of abducted Jesuit, told The Hindu over phone that Fr. Fernandez, based in New Delhi, had sent the mail on Saturday evening and described it as his personal communication. “We continue to spend anxious moments as there has been no official word yet though a week has passed since the abduction.” The family members, led by the Priest's father A. S. M. Anthony ( 77) met Fr. J. Susai Manickam, Bishop of Diocese of Sivaganga, on Sunday and requested him to make fresh efforts to secure the release of the priest at the earliest.
The Diocese presented a fresh memorandum to District Collector V. Rajaraman on Monday, urging him to prevail upon the government to speed up the action for the release of the priest.
Diocese spokesperson Fr. S. Michael Raj said copies of the memorandum, signed by the Bishop, had been sent to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Foreign secretary Sujatha Singh.