Bomb threat interrupts ‘CNN’ live programme, forcing evacuation
CABLE News Network’s (‘CNN’s) New York studio was evacuated on Thursday night in the middle of a live programme following a phoned-in bomb threat, according to the news network.
The threat came on Thursday night when a caller indicated there were five devices in the building, according to a law enforcement source.
Several fire alarm bells rang inside ‘CNN’’s New York newsroom, signalling an evacuation after the call was received shortly before 10 pm, the company’s security said.
Staffers evacuated the ‘CNN’ New York offices in the Time Warner Center building and Don Lemon’s ‘CNN’ Tonight, which had been on a commercial break, was taken off the air.
The network temporarily went to taped programming for about half hour before going live from the street while police investigated. The New York Police Department (NYPD) said that about 10:07 pm a bomb threat was called into the Time Warner Center & the building was evacuated.
The surrounding area, which includes the studios and a number of shops, was shut down. An all-clear was confirmed just before midnight after the NYPD conducted a floor-by-floor sweep of the building.
“Out of the abundance of caution, 25 Columbus Circle was evacuated,” the NYPD wrote on one of its official Twitter accounts at 11:54 p.m. ‘CNN’ confirmed in a statement that a bomb threat had been called into its New York offices and employees had been evacuated.
“It’s kind of a repeat situation of what happened back in October,” Lemon said. “These are the times that we are living in where you’re having bomb threats called into media companies and called into offices and disrupting people’s lives.” The network’s New York studios were evacuated in October after a man sent an explosive device to the network.
RIL chief Mukesh Ambani’s daughter Isha serves food at ‘Narayan Seva Sansthan’ ahead of her wedding, in Udaipur on Friday. (PTI)