Prince Philip gives up driving licence after crash
QUEEN Elizabeth II’s 97-yearold husband Prince Philip on Saturday surrendered his driving licence after causing a car crash that outraged the media and stirred a debate about old age and driving. Buckingham Palace said Philip — formally known as the Duke of Edinburgh — took the decision on his own after rolling over his Land Rover last month. Police in the eastern part of England where the accident happened outside a royal residence said they had passed Philip’s file to prosecutors to determine whether anyone should be charged. “Norfolk Police can confirm that the 97-year-old driver of the Land Rover involved in the collision at Sandringham ... voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers,” said a police statement. “The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for their consideration.” A nine-month-old baby in the back seat of a car was uninjured in the accident. One woman in the vehicle broke her wrist. Few royal watchers seriously expect the duke to be punished by the police.