TN Mus­lim man mur­dered over athe­is­tic FB posts

The Times of India (Mumbai edition) - - TIMES NATION -

Coimbatore: H Fa­rook, 31, from Bi­lal Es­tate in South Ukkadam here, was hacked to death by a four-mem­ber gang, late Thurs­day night. He was a mem­ber of Dravi­dar Vidutha­lai Kazhagam (DVK), and an athe­ist.

Fol­low­ing the mur­der, An­shath, 30, sur­ren­dered be­fore the ju­di­cial mag­is­trate court -V on Fri­day evening. Ac­cord­ing to po­lice, Fa­rook was ad­min­is­ter­ing a What­sApp group, where he posted ra­tio­nal­is­tic views against his re­li­gion. He also posted ra­tio­nal­is­tic mes­sages on his Face­book page, which drew crit­i­cism from mem­bers of his com­mu­nity.

Fa­rook was in the scrap busi­ness. He had mar­ried Rashitha 10 years ago and the cou­ple have a son, Mo­hammed Ashrin, a class VI stu­dent, and a daugh­ter Anafa, a UKG stu­dent. He was an ac­tive mem­ber of DVK and of­ten posted athe­is­tic mes­sages on his Face­book page, ac­quir­ing sev­eral en­e­mies and re­ceiv­ing many threats.

At 11.15pm on Thurs­day, he re­ceived a phone call sum­mon­ing him out of the house. His wife ad­vised him not to go out so late at night. How­ever, he left home, say­ing he would be back in 10 min­utes. He had gone to a sewage treat­ment plant near Ukkadam on a mo­tor­cy­cle, where a four-mem­ber gang way­laid him.

They way­laid Fa­rook, who at­tempted to es­cape. How­ever, he was as­saulted with sick­les by the gang and suf­fered deep cuts to his neck and ab­domen. He suc­cumbed to his in­juries on the spot.

On be­ing no­ti­fied, deputy com­mis­sioner of po­lice (crime in-charge) S Saravanan and his team rushed to the spot and sent the body to the Coimbatore Med­i­cal Col­lege and Hospi­tal (CMCH) for post­mortem.

DVK founder pres­i­dent Ko­lathur S Mani, func­tionar­ies of DVK and mem­bers of Than­thai Peri­yar Dravi­dar Kazhagam (TPDK) gath­ered at CMCH. Po­lice per­son­nel were de­ployed at the hospi­tal to pre­vent any un­to­ward in­ci­dents. After the post­mortem, the body was handed over to his fam­ily.

On Fri­day evening, M An­shath, a real­tor from Sri­ram Na­gar at Po­da­nur sur­ren­dered be­fore the ju­di­cial mag­is­trate court - V in con­nec­tion with Fa­rook’s mur­der. The court has re­manded him to ju­di­cial cus­tody till March 28. His lawyer, M Zack­riya, told the me­dia that An­shath had lost his mo­bile on Thurs­day evening. Some­one sum­moned Fa­rook out of his house us­ing An­shath’s mo­bile phone. He sur­ren­dered be­fore court as po­lice sus­pected him to be be­hind the mur­der, he added.

The po­lice have iden­ti­fied two more peo­ple in con­nec­tion with the mur­der.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.