The Times of India (New Delhi edition) - - TIMES CITY - @times­group.com File photo

New Delhi: “On May 10, 2008, Ariz Khan vis­ited Es­planade Road in Chandni Chowk area of Delhi and pur­chased pack­ets of 20,000 cy­cle ball bear­ings from a shop named ‘**** & Com­pany’ us­ing a fake name Rahul Sharma, an engi­neer­ing stu­dent. Th­ese bear­ings were later used in pre­par­ing the IEDs used in the Delhi serial blasts case which had taken place in Septem­ber 13, 2008, and had re­sulted in the death of 30 peo­ple and crit­i­cally in­jured 135 oth­ers. One of the left­over pack­ets of bear­ings was seized from the flat af­ter the en­counter in Batla House.”

This is an ex­cerpt from the chargeshee­t filed by the Spe­cial Cell of Delhi Po­lice against In­dian Mu­jahideen op­er­a­tive Ariz Khan aka Ju­naid, six months af­ter he was ar­rested from the In­dia-Nepal bor­der.

The chargeshee­t backs the po­lice case with var­i­ous re­ports. There is one that confirms the voice match for Khan in 48 calls in­ter­cepted be­tween Septem­ber 2 and Septem­ber 18, 2008. Calls on Khan’s phone num­ber 981100**** were be­ing legally in­ter­cepted. There are also hand­writ­ing analy­ses con­firm­ing the sig­na­tures in the emails tak­ing re­spon­si­bil­ity of the blasts as those of Khan. The same sig­na­ture (Al Arbi and Guru al Hindi) had been sent af­ter the Gu­jarat blasts by IM op­er­a­tive Man­soor Peerb­hoy us­ing the emaid ID: al_ar­bi_delhi @ya­hoo.com.

Khan was also spot­ted in CCTV footage from the blast area in which he is seen in a cap, blue jeans and light grey T-shirt with black stripes and sneak­ers.

Cre­at­ing a se­quence of how the men car­ried out the dead­li­est bomb­ings in Delhi, the 50page chargeshee­t says af­ter procur­ing the ball bear­ings, IM mem­bers Atif Ameen, Saif and Khalid left for Udupi in Kar­nataka on July 28 to bring ex­plo­sives. They re­turned on Au­gust 31, and on Septem­ber 8, Hakim Bagga ar­rived from Luc­know. They con­gre­gated at L-18 Batla House.

On Septem­ber 9, the men vis­ited Connaught Place to gauge the crowds and iden­tify places where max­i­mum ca­su­al­ties could be planned. The pho­to­graphs they took then were later re­cov­ered from the mo­bile phone of Bada Sa­jid, one of those killed in the Batla House en­counter.

Ac­cord­ing to the chargeshee­t, on Septem­ber 13, Khan and Atif reached Es­corts Hospi­tal, from where they took an au­torick­shaw for M Block Mar­ket in Greater Kailash I. Around 5.45pm, Khan bought a can of coke and a packet of cig­a­rettes. He then went to a cy­cle parked nearby and de­posited his deadly poly­thene packet. He stood there for a while and set the time for the blast to 6.35pm be­fore leav­ing the area.

Khan re­turned to the flat in an auto and found Atif watch­ing the news of the blasts on TV. Oth­ers also ar­rived af­ter plant­ing their IEDs. Soon af­ter, the In­dian Mu­jahideen sent out an email, signed by Al Arbi and Guru al Hind, to me­dia or­gan­i­sa­tions claim­ing re­spon­si­bil­ity for the blasts. A week later, the men were cor­nered in the Batla House flat and in the gun­fight that en­sued, Ameen and Sa­jid were killed as was in­spec­tor Mohan Chand Sharma.

(121, 121A, 122, 123 of IPC)| Fores­nic re­port stated thatwith voice in in­ter­cepted calls be­tween Septem­ber 2 and Septem­ber 18, 2008; cor­rob­o­rated by mo­bile lo­ca­tions | and WIT­NESSES CO-AC­CUSEDCharg­ed with role in Delhi serial bomb­ings on (30 killed, 135 in­jured)Bombs placed at GK (M block Mar­ket), Connaught Place, Gaf­far Mar­ket, Barakhamba Road and In­dia Gateat the end of e-mails claim­ing re­spon­si­bil­ity for blasts were of Ariz Khan. Mails sent by

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.