Girl, 10, dies of rare brain-eating amoeba in US
Washington: A 10-year-old girl has died in the hospital, her family said on Monday, after she contracted a rare brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a Texas river.
Lily Mae Avant swam in a river during a vacation earlier in September, then suffered a headache and a fever the following weekend. She was hospitalised as her health deteriorated and she began acting strangely, before becoming incoherent and unresponsive. The Texas department of state health services said she had primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a brain infection caused by the so-called brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri.