Khashoggi murder ‘under my watch’, says MbS, but denies role
Beirut: The crown prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, said he bears “all the responsibility” for the killing of a dissident writer by Saudi agents in Istanbul last year, but denied he had prior knowledge of the plot, according to a trailer for a documentary to be released next week.
The killing and dismemberment of the writer, Jamal Khashoggi, inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul nearly a year ago shocked the world and damagedthe reputation of Prince Mohammed, 34, and his efforts to diversify the Saudi economy away from oil.
It is unlikely that the comments by the prince, made in December, will alter the widespread belief that he had authorised the killing of a prominent Saudi writer who had criticised him in opinion articles in The Washington Post.
A CIA assessment found that the prince, a son of the Saudi king and the country’s de facto ruler, had likely ordered the killing — a conclusion shared by many officials of the US and other countries.
Saudi officials have denied that Prince Mohammed had any prior knowledge of the operation against Khashoggi, and President Donald Trump, who sees Prince Mohammed as key to his plans for the Middle East, has stood by him.
“It happened under my watch,” the prince told a reporter for the PBS programme Frontline, according to a trailer released on Tuesday for a documentary to be aired on October 1. “I get all the responsibility. Because it happened under my watch.”
The crown prince, in a preview of a documentary to be released next week, said he ‘bears all the responsibility’ for the killing