In­dia beat world cham­pi­ons again

Men In Blue Pip Bel­gium For 4th Straight Win

The Times of India (New Delhi edition) - - Times Sport -

An­twerp (Bel­gium): The In­dian men’s hockey team eked out a fight­ing 2-1 win over reign­ing World and Euro­pean cham­pi­ons Bel­gium to reg­is­ter their fourth con­sec­u­tive win of the tour here on Tues­day. Amit Ro­hi­das (10th minute) and Sim­ran­jeet Singh (52nd) scored for world No. 5 In­dia.

Bel­gium’s lone goal came from the stick of cap­tain Felix De­nayer in the 33rd minute.

Rid­ing high on con­fi­dence af­ter their 5-1 win over Spain in the third match of the Tour of Bel­gium, the In­dian men’s hockey team started on an at­tack­ing note against the hosts and earned a penalty corner in the 10th minute, which was duly con­verted by Ro­hi­das to give his side the lead.

In­dia man­aged to main­tain their one goal lead at the half­way break. Bel­gium showed their qual­ity in the open­ing min­utes of the third quar­ter as they se­cured an­other penalty corner in the 33rd minute and De­nayer scored with stun­ning dragflick to level the scores.

There­after, In­dia sat back and waited for their op­por­tu­nity. In­dia’s tac­tic bore fruit in the 52nd minute when they scored a well-con­structed team goal in the 52nd minute through Sim­ran­jeet. Down by a goal, Bel­gium at­tacked in num­bers in the dy­ing stages of the match and in the process earned an­other penalty corner, but the In­di­ans came up with some res­o­lute de­fend­ing to se­cure their fourth con­sec­u­tive win of the tour. The In­dian team will again face Bel­gium on Thurs­day.

Women play out goal­less draw against Bri­tain

Mar­low (Eng­land): The In­dian women’s hockey team played out a goal­less draw against Great Bri­tain in the third match of their Tour of Eng­land here on Tues­day. In­dia and Great Bri­tain be­gan the first quar­ter on a cau­tious note. The vis­i­tors tried to make a few in­roads as the match pro­gressed, but they couldn’t find an open­ing. The de­fen­sive units of both the sides held fort as none of the teams could break the dead­lock. The In­dian team made an ag­gres­sive move to­wards the end of the quar­ter and earned a penalty corner, but the Great Bri­tain de­fence man­aged to keep In­dia at bay.

In­dia rode on the mo­men­tum and con­tin­ued play­ing ag­gres­sively at the start of the se­cond quar­ter.

The vis­i­tors were awarded an­other penalty corner in the 20th minute, which was again blocked out by Great Bri­tain de­fence. In­dia made a few smart moves, but Great Bri­tain al­ways found a way to keep the ball away from their goal.


The match also marked 150 in­ter­na­tional caps for Man­deep Singh

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.