Pompeo confirms he was on call between Trump & Ukraine prez
Rome\Washington: US secretary of state Mike Pompeo acknowledged on Wednesday that he was on the telephone call between Donald Trump and his Ukrainian counterpart that sparked impeachment proceedings against the Republican president. Following a whistleblower complaint last week, Democrats are looking into Trump’s request to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy during a July 25 phone call to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden.
“I was on the phone call,” Pompeo told reporters during a visit to Italy. He said the call was in the context of US policymaking in Ukraine, including “taking down the Russia threat”, rooting out corruption in government and boosting the economy.
Trump made the request to Zelenskiy shortly after he had frozen nearly $400 million in US aid to Ukraine. Democrats accuse Trump of soliciting foreign interference in a US election and of using taxpayer money as leverage for personal political gain. The call and the whistleblower’s complaint prompted House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi to launch a formal impeachment inquiry on September 24.
lity to find the facts around the president’s effort to coerce a foreign leader to create dirt that he can use against a political opponent, that they will be strengthening the case on obstruction.” After asserting that Congress would not let impeachment entirely eclipse its legislative agenda, Pelosi accused the president of an “assault on the Constitution.”
The impeachment inquiry is escalating in rapid-fire fashion. Cummings’s warning suggests lawmakers and their staffs are working methodically to collect the evidence they believe they need to evaluate an anonymous CIA whistleblower complaint that touched off their inquiry. First, they targeted the state department, then Rudolph Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, and now the White House.