Cylinder filling at home sparks explosion, kills 2
New Delhi: Tragedy struck a family on Vijayadashami day after a woman and her daughter were killed in an explosion triggered by illegal cylinder filling at Karawal Nagar on Tuesday morning.
A mechanic, who repairs gas stoves and runs a shop in the area, was also injured in the incident after he tried to fix the cylinder leakage at the victims’ house. The blast ripped through the walls of the room, and the bodies of the women were blown to pieces.
Police said that the deceased have been identified as Rambiri (62) and her daughter Hemlata
(38), and the injured as Rajesh (42). On Tuesday morning, Rambiri went to her daughter’s house in the area after performing puja. She took a box of sweets to be given to her daughter and her family members. Seeing her mother, Hemlata went to make tea for her in the kitchen, but there was some leakage issue with the gas. She called Rajesh to fix the problem.
After an inspection, the mechanic tried to fill a small cylinder from the big cylinder in use, which led to the blast. All three were present in the kitchen at the time of the explosion.
“The blast occurred in New Sabapur area in Karawal Nagar. We received a call around 10.45 am, and two fire tenders were sent to the spot. A probe revealed that the mechanic was filling a small cylinder, which led to the explosion,” said a fire officer.
A relative of the deceased later alleged that the fire tenders arrived late. “The neighbours heard a loud noise and came out. Flame could be seen billowing out of the house. I also rushed from my house, only to see that flames were rising. We tried to use water and douse the fire, but it was too late,” said Jitin Kumar, the relative of the deceased family.
Hemlata’s husband had passed away eight years back after suffering a prolonged illness. She is survived by her son Arun (18) and daughter Kashish (12). While Arun was out for work when the incident occurred, Kashish was at her aunt’s house.
“A case under appropriate sections has been lodged at Karawal Nagar police station. We will ask the fire department to conduct an inspection to ascertain the cause of fire,” said Ved Prakash Surya, deputy commissioner of police, North-East.