Daryaganj tent house gutted as short circuit sparks fire
New Delhi: Goods worth lakhs were damaged when a tent house was gutted in a major fire near Delhi Gate in central Delhi’s Daryaganj on Wednesday evening. Thirteen fire tenders were pressed in to control the flames that was doused after a three-hour battle.
Officials said the tent house was empty at the time of the incident so no one was injured. Firemen suspect a shortcircuit caused the blaze.
Chief fire officer Atul Garg said workers noticed flames in one of the godowns at around 6pm. Soon the blaze spread through the entire tent house. The workers tried to douse the flames initially and later informed the fire department.
“At first we sent 10 fire tenders to the spot, but later three more were pressed in as a precaution since the area was heavily congested,” said Garg.
Police said that the tent house operated from a three-storey building behind the telephone exchange in Daryaganj. The building was found stuffed with clothes and other inflamable items, due to which the fire spread rapidly.
The intensity of the fire was such that it damaged the foundation of the building and some adjacent structures too. Acase has been registered.