‘GDS is yet to tap 95% mar­ket’

Presently, there is around 3-5 per cent of room in­ven­tory avail­able on­line through the var­i­ous on­line ag­gre­ga­tors and other means. This brings up a big op­por­tu­nity for GDS to build on the rest of the 95 per cent. finds out more.

TravTalk - India - - Technology -

Backed

by the find­ing of the Eco­nomic Sur­vey of In­dia 2010-11, Marco Gorin, Chief Com­mer­cial Of­fi­cer, In­terGlobe Tech­nol­ogy Quo­tient (ITQ) high­lighted the im­mense po­ten­tial that des­ti­na­tion In­dia of­fers. The travel and tourism sec­tor is all set to grow as In­dia catches up with the global trend.

“The global av­er­age on con­tri­bu­tion of travel and tourism sec­tor to GDP is as high as 13.87 per cent, while in In­dia, it’s merely 4.48 per cent. Sim­i­larly, the global av­er­age of con­tri­bu­tion to em­ploy­ment is 13.6 per cent, which is about 7.5 per cent in In­dia,” said Gorin.

“Backed by a strong eco­nomic growth and the ris­ing mid­dle class pop­u­la­tion, the In­dian travel and tourism sec­tor will rapidly near the global av­er­age, which will trans­late into great busi­ness op­por­tu­ni­ties for the stake­hold­ers in the travel and tourism in­dus­try,” he added.

Here, tech­nol­ogy will have a greater role to play and ITQ is gear­ing to fa­cil­i­tate the hos­pi­tal­ity sec­tor by mak­ing the most from the up­com­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties. The ho­tels and var­i­ous room ag­gre­ga­tors even col­lec­tively have only suc­ceeded in build­ing a minis­cule part of the room in­ven­tory on­line. cent of such room in­ven­tory on­line,” Gorin opines.

“Here we have our new of­fer­ings for leisure ho­tels and cor­po­rate ho­tels, we can also en­gage with agents via the GDS plat­form and reap the ben­e­fits like the avi­a­tion in­dus­try has wit­nessed pre­vi­ously. Along with the hos­pi­tal­ity in­dus­try, the agents here will greatly ben­e­fit by a click of a mouse through GDS, as they would get an ac­cess to a sub­stan­tial amount of room in­ven­tory and all other ameni­ties that a tourist re­quires,” he con­cluded.

Marco Gorin

Chief Com­mer­cial Of­fi­cer In­terGlobe Tech­nol­ogy Quo­tient (ITQ)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.