Gabriel Li, head bartender of Chuān @ The Sixtieth, harnesses Asian ingredients in this celebratory cocktail for epicure’s eighth anniversary.
30ml Cognac-infused sour plum (10g sour plum steeped in 100ml Cognac for 1 day) 20ml nu er hong
45ml mandarin orange juice
10ml lemon juice
5ml homemade grenadine syrup lemon curl, for garnish
• Place all ingredients except garnish into shaker, along with ice, and shake hard until chilled through.
• Place an ice ball in a chilled rocks glass, and double strain the shaker’s contents into the glass. Garnish with lemon curl.
200ml pomegranate juice 200ml sugar zest of ½ lemon zest of ½ orange
• Extract fresh pomegranate juice using a fine cloth strainer.
• In a pan over simmering heat, add pomegranate juice and sugar and warm until sugar dissolves, without bringing to a boil.
• Steep lemon and orange zest in the mixture for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and strain and let cool before use.