SAI UA SCOTCH EGGS
Makes 7 servings
• 14 large eggs
• Fill a medium pot with water and place on high heat.
• Once water comes to a rolling boil, add the eggs and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 6½ minutes.
• Transfer eggs to ice water and allow to cool completely.
• 2 garlic cloves
• 3 shallots
• 1½ cm piece of galangal, peeled and sliced
• 3 lemongrass stalks, white parts only, sliced thinly
• 1 tbsp fingerroot, rinsed, skinned and thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• 1½ tsp dried chilli powder
• 1 tsp turmeric powder
• ¾ tsp salt
• 500g minced pork belly
• 15g coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
• 5g kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
• ¾ tsp curry powder
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
» Place garlic, shallots and galangal in a dry pan over high heat. Cook galangal until dry and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Cook garlic and shallots till soft and slightly blackened, about 10 minutes.
» Remove from the heat, and blend the garlic, shallots and galangal together with lemongrass, fingerroot and fish sauce in a food processor.
» Mix the blended paste with the rest of the ingredients until well incorporated. Season to taste.
» Portion into 50-55g portions.
• 250g plain flour
• 3 large eggs, beaten
• 500g panko
• 2l cooking oil
» Once eggs are cool, peel carefully. Roll peeled eggs around flour to lightly coat them.
» Flatten each portion of meat between 2 sheets of cling wrap. Remove the top layer and place egg at the centre of each circle. Wrap meat around the egg by bringing the edges of the cling wrap together.
» Dredge the wrapped eggs in flour, then the beaten egg, and finally cover well with panko.
» Heat up oil in a wok over high heat. Deep-fry eggs two at a time until golden brown.
» Drain and serve.