Zarif on Pom­peo’s com­ments: ‘Have you no shame?’

Iran Daily - - National -

Ira­nian For­eign Min­is­ter Mo­ham­mad Javad Zarif re­acted iron­i­cally to his US coun­ter­part’s re­marks on Ye­men, tweet­ing that “have you no shame” for the Saudi star­va­tion of the Ye­meni peo­ple. The com­ments by Zarif came af­ter Mike Pom­peo had told BBC Per­sian that “the Saudis have pro­vided mil­lions and mil­lions of dol­lars of hu­man­i­tar­ian re­lief” for Ye­me­nis.

Pro­vided heavy weaponry by the United States and some Western states, a Saudi-led coali­tion has been pound­ing Ye­men since March 2015 to re­store for­mer pres­i­dent, Abd Rab­buh Man­sour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh and un­der­mine the Houthi An­sarul­lah move­ment, trig­ger­ing a food and hu­man­i­tar­ian cri­sis in the im­pov­er­ished coun­try.

“You know what Sec­re­tary Pom­peo? It’s the Ye­me­nis them­selves who’re re­spon­si­ble for famine they’re fac­ing. They should’ve sim­ply al­lowed your butcher clients – who spend bil­lions on bomb­ing school buses & “mil­lions to mit­i­gate this risk”— to an­ni­hi­late them with­out re­sist­ing,” Zarif tweeted.

The Ira­nian for­eign min­is­ter in­cor­po­rated #Havey­ounoshame at the bot­tom of the tweet.

The coali­tion has also ignored re­peated warn­ings that the heav­ily de­fended Red Sea port un­der at­tack will trig­ger a food and hu­man­i­tar­ian cri­sis in Ye­men. The of­fen­sive on Hodeida was launched on June 12.

The Le­gal Cen­ter for Rights and De­vel­op­ments in Ye­men has re­cently said the on­go­ing Saudi-led mil­i­tary cam­paign against the im­pov­er­ished and con­flict-plagued Arab coun­try has claimed the lives of more than 15,000 civil­ians.

In his in­ter­view with BBC Per­sian, Pom­peo had claimed that “the chal­lenge in Ye­men is in large part the re­spon­si­bil­ity of the Ira­nian lead­er­ship,” re­peat­ing Wash­ing­ton’s al­le­ga­tion against Tehran of arm­ing Ye­men’s pop­u­lar fighters, which the Is­lamic Repub­lic roundly de­nies.

“Just as with Ye­men, Sec­re­tary Pom­peo blames Iran for un­law­ful US sanc­tions pre­vent­ing Ira­ni­ans’ ac­cess to fi­nan­cial ser­vices for food and medicine,” Zarif said, adding, “Nat­u­rally, we will pro­vide them for our peo­ple in spite of US ef­forts.”

Pom­peo had, how­ever, claimed that none of US sanc­tions pre­vented hu­man­i­tar­ian as­sis­tance to the Ira­nian peo­ple. The new round of US sanc­tions, which had been lifted un­der a mul­ti­lat­eral 2015 nu­clear ac­cord with Iran, came back into force on Nov. 5, draw­ing crit­i­cisms from the United Na­tions as well as Wash­ing­ton’s al­lies in the Euro­pean Union.

The bans – the sec­ond of their kind since Wash­ing­ton’s with­drawal from the deal in May – take aim at Iran’s bank­ing, in­sur­ance and en­ergy sec­tors, tar­get­ing more than 700 en­ti­ties. The first round was re­in­stated in Au­gust.

Press TV con­trib­uted to the story.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Iran

© PressReader. All rights reserved.