Bray People

Grey­stones win the Char­lie Byrne Cup

- GAVIN FORDE at Celtic Park Sports · Soccer · Rugby · Celtic F.C. · Celtic Park · Kyle Howard

GREY­STONES UNITED lifted the Char­lie Byrne Cup af­ter beat­ing Sham­rock Celtic in a tough cup fi­nal at Celtic Park on Saturday af­ter­noon.

Sham­rock Celtic were hop­ing to add to their sil­ver­ware this sea­son and con­tinue their win­ning form af­ter claim­ing the Divi­sion 3 ti­tle last week­end, but they found them­selves be­hind af­ter only six min­utes played.

Grey­stones were awarded a free-kick just af­ter the halfway line, the free-kick was floated into the penalty area which Celtic failed to clear and left striker Dave O’Sul­li­van un­marked to smash the ball past Tommy Sul­li­van in goal to give his side the lead.

Sham­rock were slow in tran­si­tion from de­fence to at­tack in the first 20 min­utes of the game and were fail­ing to pro­vide many chances for their strik­ers Darren Col­lopy and Michael Hodgkin­son, but they gained more con­fi­dence as time grew on.

Celtic had a great chance to level the scor­ing on the 25th minute when a mis­take at the back­line be­tween Dan Byrne and Bar­toz Stenka in the Grey­stones goal al­most gifted an equaliser for Hodgkin­son but Stenka made a great re­cov­ery to clear the ball.

Sham­rock Celtic kept push­ing for a way back into the game as they be­gan to get their tricky wingers Scott Meaney and Kev Mur­ray into the game by play­ing long balls over the Grey­stones de­fence.

Mur­ray thought he had grabbed a goal back on the half hour mark when he got on the end of a Phillip Gill long ball to force the ball over the line as he jumped and chal­lenged Stenka in goal.

Mur­ray ran off cel­e­brat­ing with his team mates but ref­eree Shay Byrne ruled out the goal af­ter speak­ing to his lines­man Karl Doyle.

Just be­fore half-time they fi­nally got their goal when they were awarded a penalty af­ter Darren Col­lopy was tripped in the box.

Mid­fielder Ai­dan O’Neill stepped up and slot­ted the penalty to the bot­tom cor­ner and the sides went in at half-time with the score level.

Five min­utes into the sec­ond half United found them­selves back in front.

This time it was O’Sul­li­van who was as­sist­ing the goal; O’Sul­li­van fought his way through the Celtic de­fence be­fore play­ing through Oisin Keogh who curled it into the top cor­ner.

A great fin­ish from the winger to put his side back in front.

Celtic were des­per­ate to get them­selves back in the game as they be­gan to push play­ers for­ward to try and get an equal­is­ing goal, this gave Grey­stones many op­por­tu­ni­ties to go on the counter-at­tack.

De­spite Sham­rock be­ing un­der pres­sure from their op­po­nents they got their lev­eller through de­fender Colin Cas­sidy in the 68th minute.

Cas­sidy had pushed for­ward for a cor­ner-kick and re­acted quick­est in the penalty area to vol­ley home the cor­ner from winger Scott Meaney.

Un­for­tu­nately for Sham­rock Celtic they were dealt a huge blow as they had to con­tinue the rest of the game with only ten men af­ter winger Scott Meaney was shown a red card for dis­sent.

Grey­stones hav­ing the ex­tra man made the re­main­der of the game dif­fi­cult for Celtic and they failed to threaten the United goal.

Grey­stones had wave af­ter wave of at­tack as they looked for a win­ning goal. Sub­sti­tute Danny Wal­ters was in­tro­duced late on to try and un­lock the Sham­rock Celtic de­fence.

Eight min­utes from time United had their win­ner, Oisin Keogh found the back of the net af­ter Mark McHugh slipped him through to score the win­ning goal.

Af­ter the game Grey­stones United coach Martin McDe­vitt gave his thoughts on the game.

‘We started the game quite sloppy in de­fence. We wanted to play the ball out from the back and keep the pos­ses­sion but it was dif­fi­cult at times be­cause they are a good side. I thought we moved the ball well in the sec­ond half, we have a very young team here and we’re very happy to be lift­ing the cup,’ he said.

It was a tough cup fi­nal for both sides with lit­tle chances at ei­ther end.

United looked like they might go on and score more goals and put the game to bed early in the sec­ond half but Celtic fought back and, on an­other day, might have brought the game to ex­tra-time but United held firm and kept out the late pres­sure from Celtic to be crowned this sea­son’s Char­lie Byrne Cup cham­pi­ons. SHAM­ROCK CELTIC: 1. Tommy Sul­li­van,

2. Phillip Gill, 3. Rob Gile­spe, 4. Greg Doyle, 5. Colin Cas­sidy, 6. Ai­dan O’ Neill,

7. Scott Meaney, 8. Eric Dunne, 9. Michael Hodgkin­son, 10. Darren Col­lopy, 11. Kevin Mur­ray. Subs: In­gard Hansen for Kevin Mur­ray (65min)

GREY­STONES: 1. Bar­toz Stenka, 2. Dan Byrne, 3. Joe Gerrard, 4. Mun­vro Gbre­brivj, 5. Sean Minogue, 6. Jayson Healy,

7. Mark McHugh, 8. Jack O’Toole, 9. Kyle Howard, 10. Dave O’Sul­li­van, 11. Oisin Keogh. Subs: Danny Wal­ters for Dave O’Sul­li­van (68min)

REF­EREE: Shay Byrne

 ??  ??
 ??  ?? Grey­stones cap­tain Sean Minogue gets the cup from Syd­ney Byrne O’Reilly.
Grey­stones cap­tain Sean Minogue gets the cup from Syd­ney Byrne O’Reilly.
 ??  ?? Grey­stones United cel­e­brate af­ter win­ning the Char­lie Byrne Cup.
Grey­stones United cel­e­brate af­ter win­ning the Char­lie Byrne Cup.
 ??  ?? Sham­rock Celtic’s Ai­dan O’Neill on the ball.
Sham­rock Celtic’s Ai­dan O’Neill on the ball.
 ??  ?? Ac­tion from the Char­lie Byrne Cup fi­nal.
Ac­tion from the Char­lie Byrne Cup fi­nal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland