Bray People

Pren­der­gast on fire

- Sports · Eoin Doyle

5-7 2-11

A lovely morn­ing and a fab­u­lous play­ing sur­face helped pro­duce a crack­ing game of foot­ball be­tween th­ese two teams. A game that was played with skill and man­li­ness through­out, both teams threw the kitchen sink at claim­ing this Shield ti­tle.

The game kicked off with both teams feel­ing each other out, with Rath­new mak­ing the bet­ter of the early ex­changes and dom­i­nat­ing pos­ses­sion. They went two points ahead through Reece Doyle and an Eoin Doyle free. In this pe­riod the Vil­lage men kicked a num­ber of wides, and it made one won­der – would they rue th­ese missed chances?

At the 10-minute mark, the Grey­stones men kicked in to gear. Mark Hay­den got his hands on the ball around the mid­dle third, he floated a pass in to Joe Pren­der­gast who fin­ished to the net. Straight from the kick out, Éire Óg launched an­other at­tack. Colm Con­dron grabbed a ball at full for­ward, he man­aged to catch the Rath­new keeper off his line with an audacious chip shot, that could only be imag­ined by a young man full of con­fi­dence. Two goals in as many min­utes, breath­less.

True to form, the Rath­new men didn’t take it ly­ing down. They an­swered straight away with two points.

Ross Quinn came storm­ing in to the game and grabbed an im­pres­sive score. Eoin Doyle was the fo­cal point of the Rath­new at­tack and he added a free. Again, Rath­new were dom­i­nat­ing pos­ses­sion and needed to make it count.

Af­ter the wa­ter break, Grey­stones grabbed a score through Dy­lan Ma­her. The fi­nal 10 min­utes of the first was hec­tic. Rath­new grabbed the ini­tia­tive in the game when Eoin Doyle created a goal from noth­ing. As he stood over a 14-yard free, ev­ery­one in Avon­dale thought it was a tap over – not Eoin Doyle. He slammed it to the top cor­ner of the net. Scott Devlin and Doyle added points for good mea­sure.

Chal­lenge ac­cepted by the Éire Óg men. In the 28th minute, Colm Con­dron snook in be­hind the Rath­new de­fence, found Joe Pren­der­gast who tapped his own re­bound to the net. Pren­der­gast added two frees, while Tay­lor

Sul­li­van got in on the act. A rapid fin­ish from Éire Óg to leave them lead­ing by 3-5 to 1-6 at the break.

The sec­ond half was a more end-to-end af­fair. Straight from the throw in, Joe Pren­der­gast popped over a score. It was an­swered with aplomb by Wil­liam Moore­house for Rath­new. Eoin Doyle chipped over an­other free for Rath­new.

Grey­stones an­swered by grab­bing their fourth goal of the day. Tay­lor O’Sul­li­van turned over the ball in the Rath­new half and de­liv­ered to Colm Con­dron who dis­patched to the net. Rath­new dug in – they an­swered through Ross Quinn and an Eoin Doyle bomb of a free. They needed a goal and a goal they got. Ross Quinn took the ball from a kick out and sliced through the Grey­stones de­fence be­fore slot­ting a shot to the bot­tom cor­ner.

Wa­ter break num­ber two – game on, three points in it. Rath­new sub­sti­tute Ewan Cul­bert gets a score to make it a two-point game. We then en­tered a pe­riod of the game where all struc­ture was aban­doned and th­ese teams went at it.

Rath­new were forced in to a change in goals early on due to in­jury, but the re­place­ment goal­keeper Sam Healy earned his stripes with a string of out­stand­ing saves, to keep the game alive. At the other end Fionn Melia took a ball from the goal line for the Grey­stones men.

Eoin Doyle pulled Rath­new to within two and they were push­ing hard. The Grey­stones men were counter at­tack­ing at se­ri­ous pace, lead by an im­pres­sive Joe Pren­der­gast. He launched a ball in to Tay­lor O’Sul­li­van, who fin­ished to the net. With sec­onds left on the clock, it was a death knell in this game.

Éire Óg the win­ners of a fab­u­lously en­ter­tain­ing game.

Man of the Match: Joe Pren­der­gast (Éire Óg Grey­stones).

ÉIRE ÓG GREY­STONES: Sean O’Neill; Spenser O’Con­nor, Max Scully, Fionn Melia; Mark Hay­den, Conor O’Dono­van, Colm Shortt; Chris Ste­wart, Dy­lan Potts; Oisin Shana­han, Joe Pren­der­gast (2-3), Tay­lor O’Sul­li­van (1-1); Neil Burke, Colm Con­dron (2-1), Dy­lan Ma­her (0-2). RATH­NEW: Christo­pher Doyle; Adam Byrne, Kil­lian Clarke, Thang Tran Quoc; Cal­lum Clarke, Ryan O’Toole, Ross Quinn (1-2); Ben Free, Char­lie Cruise; Wil­liam Moore­house (0-1), Reece Doyle (0-1), TJ O’Neill; Josh O’Con­nor, Eoin Doyle (1-5), Scott Devlin (0-1). Subs: Sam Healy for Christo­pher Doyle, Sean O Meara for Josh O’Con­nor, Ewan Cul­bert (0-1) for TJ O’Neill.

REF­EREE: Eu­gene O’Brien (Aughrim)

 ??  ?? Éire Óg cap­tain Joe Pren­der­gast with the MFC ‘A’ shield tro­phy and the Wicklow Peo­ple spon­sored man of the match award.
Éire Óg cap­tain Joe Pren­der­gast with the MFC ‘A’ shield tro­phy and the Wicklow Peo­ple spon­sored man of the match award.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland