Kells men go one bet­ter

Drogheda Independent - - SPORT -

LAST year’s beaten fi­nal­ists Gaeil Colm­cille went one bet­ter on Sun­day when they cap­tured the Feis Cup for the sec­ond time in four years fol­low­ing an en­ter­tain­ing en­counter at Pairc Tail­teann.

At one stage in the open­ing quar­ter it looked as if the Kells men would stroll to vic­tory af­ter they built up a 0-7 to 0-1 lead by the 11th minute.

Ra­toath never led at any stage, but by the 25th minute they had wiped out that six-point deficit to be on level terms. They found them­selves trail­ing 0-8 to 1-12 af­ter Fionn Reilly struck for the game’s only goal on 48 min­utes, but again they re­sponded.

Six suc­ces­sive points left them be­hind by the min­i­mum with two min­utes of nor­mal time re­main­ing. How­ever, the Ra­toath men were un­able to add to their tally af­ter that and Gaeil Colm­cille snatched the in­sur­ance point in the third of four added min­utes.

Both sides were mi­nus a number of reg­u­lars, with Ea­mon and Joey Wal­lace and Cian O’Brien no­table ab­sen­tees for Ra­toath.

Points from Sea­mus Mat­ti­moe, Brian Han­lon (free) and Fionn Reilly left the even­tual win­ners three clear in­side five min­utes.

Bryan McMa­hon, who was out­stand­ing for Ra­toath all the way through, opened his side’s ac­count on six min­utes. How­ever, by the time he scored a sec­ond point on 14 min­utes the Kells side had added four fur­ther points


from Han­lon Fer­gu­son.

Ra­toath en­joyed a spell of dom­i­nance af­ter that, and boosted by four fur­ther points from McMa­hon and one each from Conor Rooney and Em­met Boyle they were on level terms at 0-8 each on 25 min­utes.

Gaeil Colm­cille re­gained the ini­tia­tive in the clos­ing stages of the half and points from Fionn Fer­gu­son and Evan Sheri­dan gave them a 0-10 to 0-8 in­ter­val lead.

Sea­mus Mat­ti­moe and Han­lon added to the Gaeil Colm­cille tally (three) and Fionn and they stretched that lead when Fionn Reilly net­ted early in the fi­nal quar­ter.

Ra­toath went 25 min­utes with­out a score un­til McMa­hon blasted over the bar when his ef­fort needed to go un­der it. How­ever, Fer­gal Power’s side chipped away at the Kells out­fit’s lead, with Brian Power, David McGowan (free), Con­all Ahearne, Ai­dan Mur­ray and McMa­hon, with his eighth point, all on tar­get to set up an ex­cit­ing fi­nale.

Sub Cian Rogers had a chance of an equaliser, but his ef­fort was way­ward and from the re­sul­tant kick­out Liam Fer­gu­son made a great catch and then set up Oisin Reilly who dou­bled his side’s ad­van­tage and sealed the vic­tory. RA­TOATH: REF­EREE:

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.