Ruth­less Duleek eye Tully tri­umph

Drogheda Independent - - SPORT -

A GOAL in the very first minute by Matthew Noone eased any nerves in the Duleek camp as the Premier Di­vi­sion side safely ad­vanced to the quar­ter-fi­nals in the Tully Book­mak­ers Cup last Satur­day.

Op­po­nents Glenmuir’s soli­tary tri­umph in this com­pe­ti­tion came about back in 2009 when they too were a top-flight club, but the Dun­dalk side now ply their trade in Di­vi­sion 3 and were hop­ing on this oc­ca­sion to cause a big up­set against the 2013 Cup win­ners at the Toll­stone.

Their chances be­came all the more dif­fi­cult in those open­ing sec­onds as the very alert Noone got in be­hind the Glenmuir de­fence to open the scor­ing.

De­spite be­ing shell-shocked by that set­back, Glenmuir man­aged to gather them­selves and there­after cre­ated a number of chances of their own, the most no­table a goal-bound shot from John Byrne af­ter four min­utes which was ex­pertly tipped away for a corner by Duleek keeper Mark Kelly.

Five min­utes later Kelly was once again called into ac­tion when he rushed off his line to deny Liam Cun­ning­ham, whose ef­fort went nar­rowly wide.

The Dun­dalk out­fit were pun­ished for not con­vert­ing the chances that came their way as Duleek went 2-0 up in the 10th minute when former am­a­teur in­ter­na­tional Barry Ka­vanagh made a great run be­fore un­selfishly set­ting up James Guil­foyle for an easy tapin, with Glenmuir keeper David McKenna an­tic­i­pat­ing a shot from the striker.

Glenmuir man­aged to keep the score at 2-0 for the re­main­der of the half, but the sec­ond pe­riod re­sumed with the home side still in con­trol and their grip of the pos­ses­sion paid off in the 68th minute with a su­perb team goal, with Ka­vanagh tap­ping in a Rob­bie Daly cross af­ter a great move in­volv­ing Sean Kennedy and Guil­foyle.

At that point Duleek in­tro­duced three sub­sti­tutes and each of them got on the score­sheet, be­gin­ning with John Brod­er­ick who made no mis­take in a one-to-one sit­u­a­tion fol­low­ing a neat pass by Gareth Toal.

That was fol­lowed by a fine solo ef­fort from Cor­mac McGrog­gan, and John Ho­ran rounded off the scor­ing with just two min­utes re­main­ing to make it 6-0 and se­cure a quar­ter-fi­nal place at home to Trim Celtic.

How­ever, Duleek will park that par­tic­u­lar fix­ture for now as they con­cen­trate on se­cur­ing the Premier Di­vi­sion sta­tus. A draw in their penul­ti­mate fix­ture at home to bot­tom-of-the-ta­ble Car­rick Rovers next Sun­day would be enough to send Car­rick down, but a win for the Mon­aghan out­fit would leave Duleek need­ing a vic­tory from their one re­main­ing league match.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.