Flynn grabs late win­ner

Drogheda Independent - - SPORT -

HUN­TER­STOWN/MAT­TOCK claimed the U16A league ti­tle win in dra­matic fash­ion when full for­ward Liam Flynn popped up in in­jury time to kick the win­ning point in a hugely en­ter­tain­ing and pul­sat­ing fi­nal in Darver on Thurs­day night. In do­ing so it also wrapped up a league and cham­pi­onship dou­ble for the Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock side in 2020.

It was the Coo­ley penin­sula side who got off to a dream start when a spec­u­la­tive shot looped over the head of goal­keeper Lewis Mant and nes­tled in the top cor­ner of the net for a goal af­ter just ninety sec­onds, to get the game off to an ex­cit­ing start.

Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock quickly replied with a point from play form the ex­cit­ing Liam Flynn, then a bril­liant save from Lewis Mant pre­vented Col­ley/Cuchulainn from go­ing even fur­ther in front. A point from a free put the Coo­ley penin­sula side a goal in front, but in the 13th minute they had a chance to ex­tend their lead even fur­ther when the ref­eree awarded them a penalty, again Lewis Mant made a bril­liant save but the re­bound fell to a Coo­ley/Cuchulainn player who mad no mis­take and fin­ished to the back of the net, leav­ing the score 2-1 to 0-1 af­ter 14 minutes.

Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock then sparked into life and be­gan to play with tenac­ity and flair. Points from play from Conor Mc­Goey (2), Sean Flynn and a free from James Rogers got Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock right back into the game.

But the Coo­ley/Cuchulainn were not go­ing to go down at half time with­out a fight and pounced for an­other goal just be­fore half time to leave the score at the break 3-1 to 0-5.

The sec­ond half be­gan with Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock go­ing on a ten minute scor­ing spree Liam

Flynn hit points two from play and a free be­fore Raphael Ir­win pounced at the back post to find the back of the net to put Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock ahead for the first time in the match in the 40th minute.

Sec­ond half sub­sti­tute Aaron Levins ex­tended their lead and af­ter 42 minutes to 1-9 to 3-1.

Coo­ley/Cuchulainn then got them­selves ahead again in this ti­tanic af­fair when they hit a goal and a point in quick suc­ces­sion to now lead 4-2 to 1-9, it truly was thrilling stuff. But that was only the start of the drama. Hun­ter­stown/ Mat­tock then went up the field and fired in a goal them­selves through cor­ner for­ward Seán Flynn, and in­flu­en­tial mid­fielder Shane Halpenny fired over a point for Hun­ter­stown/Mat­tock to have them two points ahead with just five minutes re­main­ing.

Coo­ley/Cuchulainn bril­liantly and de­servedly got them­selves level in the game with two pointed frees, but Liam Flynn broke the Coo­ley penin­sula hearts with a point in in­jury time to seal a fa­mous win. Con­grat­u­la­tions to both teams on a fan­tas­tic game of foot­ball. MAT­TOCK/HUN­TER­STOWN: Lewis Mant, Oisin Mul­ryne, Tier­nan Bar­ron, Adam O’Reilly, James Rus­sell, Cil­lian Taaffe, Jamie O’Cal­laghan, Shane Halpenny 0-1, Conor Mc­Goey 0-2, David McGee, James Rogers 0-1, Raphael Ir­win 1-0, Sean Flynn 1-1, Liam Flynn 0-5, Ciaran Mc­Cart­ney, Aaron Levins 0-1, Michael Reid, Peter Reid, Robert Holmes, Graham Boland, Ro­nan Tal­lon, Oran Martin, Joe Rogers, Cil­lian McCul­lough.

Sean Hoey of Coo­ley Kick­hams/Cuchulainn Gaels and Cil­lian Taaffe of Hun­ter­stown Rovers/Mat­tock Rangers chase af­ter the ball dur­ing the U-16 Di­vi­sion 1A league fi­nal in Darver.

Photos: Ai­dan Dul­laghan/Newspics

The Hun­ter­stown Rovers/Mat­tock Rangers team cel­e­brate their vic­tory over Coo­ley Kick­hams/Cuchulainn Gaels af­ter the U-16 Di­vi­sion 1A league fi­nal in Darver.

Der­mot Clarke, Louth Mi­nor Board, presents the U-16 1A League Cup to Tiar­nan Bar­ron and Cil­lian Taaffe, Joint-Cap­tains of Hun­ter­stown Rovers/Mat­tock Rangers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.