Quigley keeps his cool

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - ALAN GOFF


THERE WAS noth­ing to sep­a­rate Ferns St. Aidan’s and Faythe Har­ri­ers af­ter 60 min­utes of ac­tion in this Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onship Group A clash in Bree on Sunday.

A free with the last puck of the game from Ferns’ Lee Quigley en­sured the spoils were shared af­ter a hard-fought game in which both sides will feel that they should have won.

The first-half was all Faythe Har­ri­ers who were helped by in-form full-for­ward Con O Don­nagáin as he hit 1-3 from play in the open­ing 15 min­utes.

The Wex­ford town men were to­tally on top and were ahead by 1-7 to 0-3 at the end of the open­ing quar­ter, helped also by a brace from Jack O’Leary.

Jeff Tobin, Pádraig Walsh and Seán Walsh did their best to kick­start the Ferns chal­lenge with scores, and at half-time it was 1-8 to 0-6 in favour of Faythe Har­ri­ers.

The in­ter­val team talk seemed to work won­ders for Ferns be­cause they were a dif­fer­ent team right from the off in the sec­ond-half.

A Peter O’ Toole free was fol­lowed by a smart Derek Thorpe score to re­duce the deficit to three points early in the sec­ond pe­riod.

Ferns had all the mo­men­tum now and rat­tled off an­other three points with­out re­ply in­clud­ing a fine score from cen­tre-back Seán Walsh.

At the mid­point in the sec­ond-half Ferns were ahead on a score­line of 0-15 to 1-10 and were do­ing all the hurl­ing.

To their credit, Faythe Har­ri­ers ral­lied. Cen­tre-for­ward Shane Howard was ac­cu­rate with a cou­ple of frees be­fore they were awarded a penalty which Howard drove over.

The Faythe Har­ri­ers cap­tain then scored an ex­cel­lent in­di­vid­ual point and, go­ing into in­jury time, the sides were level (1-15 to 0-18).

Wing-back Fran Cleary thought he had won it for the Har­ri­ers with a fine point be­fore Quigley’s late free en­sured the game ended all square. Ferns are un­beaten af­ter one win and two draws.

Ferns St. Aidan’s: Niall Byrne; Wil­lie Bol­ger, Peter Nolan, Pa­trick O’Ha­gan; P.J. O’Neill, Seán Walsh (02), Christo­pher Davitt; Peter O’Toole (0-6, 2 frees, 1 ‘65), Brian O’Neill; Ben Cow­man, Pádraig Walsh (0-2), Derek Thorpe (0-2); Anthony Dwyer, Jeff Tobin (0-2), Lee Quigley (0-4 frees). Subs. - Ryan Nolan (0-1) for Nolan (17), Paddy O’Leary for P. Walsh, inj. (30), Walsh for Cow­man (53).

Faythe Har­ri­ers: Adam McDaid; Stephen Gan­non, Cil­lian Ga­han, Dáire Reville; Fran Cleary (0-1), Alan Lynch, Ryan Fur­long; Dean Walsh (0-1), Jack Mur­phy (0-1); Con­all O Cru­alaoich, Shane Howard (0-7, 4 frees, 1 pen.), Fi­ach O Cru­alaoich; Jack O’ Leary (0-3), Con O Don­nagáin (1-3), David Gould­son. Sub. - Paul Gan­non for Gould­son (30).

Ref­eree: Roly Buck­ley (Bal­ly­hogue).

Cil­lian Ga­han (Faythe Har­ri­ers) solo­ing clear of Jeff Tobin (Ferns).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.