Dev­ereux de­liv­ers for the seasiders

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - BREN­DAN FUR­LONG


THE AC­CU­RACY of ace marks­man Lee Dev­ereux helped St. Mary’s (Ross­lare) keep their hopes very much alive with a hard-earned three-point vic­tory over David­stown-Court­nacuddy in this Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onship Group B game in Kil­lurin on Sunday.

It was a game that turned into a shoot-out in­volv­ing Dev­ereux and Mark Byrne for the op­po­si­tion, but while Byrne showed tremen­dous ac­cu­racy through the 60 min­utes it was not suf­fi­cient to give his side a much-needed vic­tory.

In­stead the Dev­ereux-in­spired Ross­lare team bat­tled their way through a tor­rid sec­ond-half to fash­ion a hard-earned vic­tory.

The En­nis­cor­thy Dis­trict side opened im­pres­sively and led by 0-4 to 0-2 af­ter five min­utes, with their points through James Kelly (two), Byrne (free) and veteran Johnny De­laney, while Dev­ereux and Naomhan Ros­siter were on tar­get for the op­po­si­tion.

Af­ter Dev­ereux (free) and Kelly went on to ex­change points, St. Mary’s got their only goal af­ter eight min­utes.

Dev­ereux had a shot blocked but Paul Kin­sella was on hand to fire the break­ing ball to net, giv­ing his side a 1-3 to 0-5 lead.

Af­ter Johnny De­laney had landed a fine point the sides were back level, but with St. Mary’s find­ing scor­ing that bit more eas­ily through Dev­ereux, Robert But­ler, Ja­son El­lard and Rees Broad­ers, they man­aged to pull clear.

David­stown-Cour­tacuddy gave them­selves a real lift ap­proach­ing the break with two Mark Byrne points, one from a free, leav­ing the even­tual win­ners lead­ing by 1-10 to 0-9 at the in­ter­val.

Af­ter both Byrne and Dev­ereux had traded early sec­ond-half pointed frees, very lit­tle was to sep­a­rate the sides through the open­ing ten min­utes on the re­sump­tion, un­til an op­por­tunist David Dunne goal, pulling a loose ball to the net, brought the sides level (1-13 each) af­ter 42 min­utes.

David­stown-Court­nacuddy took the initiative for a brief spell as two Byrne points from play edged them in front, but by the end of the third quar­ter, points from Robert But­ler and Dev­ereux (free) had the sides back level (1-15 each).

As the game en­tered the clos­ing five min­utes just one point sep­a­rated the sides, but a surge of late points through Dev­ereux (’65), Paul Kin­sella and Tiar­nan Ros­siter edged St. Mary’s clear, with David O’Dwyer man­ag­ing a sin­gle re­sponse for the op­po­si­tion who have yet to win a game.

St. Mary’s: Niall Walsh; Em­met Byrne, Conor Caf­fer­key, Gearóid Byrne; Larry Mor­ris­sey, David Mur­phy, Ned Power; Tiar­nan Ros­siter (0-2), Naomhan Ros­siter (0-1); Paul Kin­sella (1-3), Robert But­ler (0-2), Ja­son El­lard (0-2); Lee Dev­ereux (0-10, 4 frees, 1 ‘65), Ul­tan Quirke, Rees Broad­ers (02). Sub. - Daire Hef­fer­nan for Quirke.

David­stown-Court­nacuddy: Stephen Dun­bar; Ger Martin, Michael Mur­phy, Kevin Keane; Daryl Free­man, Dar­ragh Cooper, Barry Nolan; David Dunne (1-1), James Doyle; James Kelly (0-3), Mark Byrne (0-11, 6 frees), David O’Dwyer (0-1); Seán Cooper, Johnny De­laney (0-3), Mark Mur­phy. Subs. - Daniel De­laney for Free­man, Paddy Kennedy for De­laney.

Ref­eree: Stephen Burke (Vol­un­teers).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.