Tagh­mon’s com­plete dis­play

Gorey sec­ond string con­tin­ued bat­tling to bit­ter end

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - BREN­DAN FUR­LONG


TAGH­MON’S COM­PLETE dis­play saw them claim the Al­lianz Rackard League Ris­ing Stars foot­ball ti­tle with a com­pre­hen­sive vic­tory over Gorey at St. Patrick’s Park, En­nis­cor­thy, on Mon­day of last week.

The even­tual vic­tors set about their task from the open­ing min­utes as they laid siege to their op­po­nents’ goal, rac­ing into a 3-3 to nil-0 lead by the tenth minute.

Big­ger and much stronger phys­i­cally than their ri­vals, they con­trolled the out­field ex­changes and with the at­tack util­is­ing their qual­ity ball it was all one-way traf­fic for the open­ing half.

Hav­ing con­ceded three early goals, it was al­ways go­ing to be an up­hill battle for the Gorey boys. Giv­ing away a lot phys­i­cally and much the younger side, they found great dif­fi­culty in sti­fling their op­po­nents through that open­ing spell.

They showed im­mense im­prove­ment on the re­sump­tion, play­ing some qual­ity foot­ball in the process.

And there was enough to sug­gest they will be a real force in the league over the next two years, given that this was their sec­ond tier side as their first team had fin­ished as run­ners-up to Glynn-Barn­town.

It was prob­a­bly ex­pected that Tagh­mon would prove the stronger side over the course of the game. They took a sec­ond-minute lead when Jamie Cado­gan kicked a fine point, and two min­utes later a quick at­tack­ing move saw the ball end with Kieran Kelly who shot low to the cor­ner of the net.

One minute later, hav­ing won pos­ses­sion of the short kick-out, the ball was trans­ferred quickly in­side to Mor­gan Nash-Colfer who eas­ily beat ‘keeper Conor Moore from close range, giv­ing his side a 2-1 to nil lead.

With Gorey find­ing real dif­fi­culty in get­ting the ball be­yond mid­field, as the Tagh­mon pair­ing of David Fo­ley and Jack Whitty dom­i­nated pos­ses­sion, the lat­ter fin­ished for their third goal with a ris­ing shot to the roof of the net.

Points fol­lowed from a Fo­ley free and Conor Doyle to leave them lead­ing by 3-3 to nil af­ter just ten min­utes.

This was fine at­tack­ing foot­ball from Tagh­mon who went on to add a fur­ther two goals in the lead up to the break through Jamie Cado­gan, giv­ing them a 5-7 to nil in­ter­val lead.

Gorey showed im­mense im­prove­ment af­ter the half-time break.

They be­gan to work the ball out of de­fence through mid­field, and as a re­sult they found greater op­por­tu­nity of giv­ing their starved at­tack an abun­dance of ball.

While Nash-Colfer added his side’s sixth goal within three min­utes of the re-start, Gorey went on to con­trol the re­main­der of the half.

Hav­ing built some promis­ing at­tacks, both Rory Di­neen and Seán O’Farrell came close to goals but their ef­forts flashed just the wrong side of the post.

It also took some des­per­ate de­fend­ing from Tagh­mon to keep their goal in­tact, with Gorey hav­ing to wait un­til the 40th minute for their open­ing score of the game - a Stephen Mur­phy pointed free.

Af­ter Mur­phy saw a goal at­tempt well saved by Tagh­mon ‘keeper Calvin Ke­hoe, he went on to add his side’s sec­ond point, also from a free.

Had Gorey con­verted more of their chances the score­line would have been more re­spectable, but this young side still bat­tled right to the fi­nal whis­tle.

And cor­ner-for­ward Seán O’Farrell scored a fine goal six min­utes from the end when he pounced on a break­ing ball to send a ris­ing left-footed shot to the top cor­ner of the net, which was no more than their sec­ond-half ef­fort de­served.

Tagh­mon: Calvin Ke­hoe; Stephen Doyle, Peter Whitty, Bobby Joe Pitt; Luke Barron, Ben O’Toole (0-1), Rowan O’Ke­effe; David Fo­ley (0-2, 1 free), Jack Whitty (1-0); Jamie Cado­gan (2-1), Mor­gan Nash-Colfer (2-0), Philip Doyle; Kieran Kelly (1-0), Conor Doyle (0-3), Ryan McLough­lin. Subs. - Seán Clancy, Tom Bol­ger, Gary Hor­nick, D.J. Doyle, Ryan Cardiff, Craig Doyle, Aaron Moloney, Liam Mor­ris­sey, Har­vey O’Brien, John Pitt, Ro­nan Win­ters.

Gorey: Conor Moore; Brian O’Toole, Ja­cob Smullen, Nathan Byrne; Ted Sheehan, Casey Kennedy, Thierry Travers; Jack Stead­mond, Adam Bell; Stephen Mur­phy (0-2 frees), Rory Di­neen, Cal­lum O’Brien-Ryan; Seán O’Farrell (1-0), Ciarán O’Brien, Rian Lacey. Subs. - Con­all Mol­loy, Ryan Byrne.

Ref­eree: Bren­dan Holo­han (Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown).

The tri­umphant Tagh­mon squad at the tro­phy pre­sen­ta­tion.

Stephen Mur­phy of Gorey stretches to keep the ball away from Rowan O’Ke­effe (Tagh­mon).

The Gorey boys with men­tor Pádraig Cronin.

Jamie Cado­gan scor­ing a point for Tagh­mon.

Rory Di­neen of Gorey is tack­led by Tagh­mon’s Mor­gan Nash-Colfer.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.