Anne’s aces de­feat the hosts

Ryan and Berry lay solid mid­field plat­form for vic­tors

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - BREN­DAN FUR­LONG


THE BEAUTY of this game was ev­i­dent as St. Anne’s man­aged to over­come some er­ratic fin­ish­ing to even­tu­ally emerge with a fully-de­served six-point vic­tory over a bat­tling Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh out­fit in this hugely ex­cit­ing Martin Storey Un­der-14 hurl­ing Red Shield Di­vi­sion 2 fi­nal in Ou­lart on Sun­day.

St. Anne’s looked the more im­pos­ing side phys­i­cally which in turn helped them dom­i­nate long pe­ri­ods of pos­ses­sion. Their mid­field pair­ing of Finn Ryan - an out­stand­ing prospect - and Liam Berry dom­i­nat­ing the out­field ex­changes, which in turn less­ened the sup­ply of qual­ity ball to the home side’s at­tack which was starved of pos­ses­sion for pe­ri­ods of this game.

The south county side opened the game im­pres­sively as they laid siege to their ri­vals’ goal. Af­ter Liam Berry pro­duced a dart­ing run to point af­ter three min­utes, they fol­lowed up with the game’s soli­tary goal three min­utes later.

Berry pro­duced a good run out of mid­field and got the ball across the face of the goal where Eoin McMa­hon was per­fectly po­si­tioned to fin­ish to the net from close range.

When Finn Ryan picked off a point from mid­field, St. Anne’s led by 1-2 to nil af­ter seven min­utes.

But Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh man­aged to lift the siege as Oisín Dunne and Michael O’Brien came into the game.

Two pointed Si­mon Roche frees hauled them right back into con­tention, but St. Anne’s re­sponded with two Cathal Mur­phy points, one from a free.

Af­ter John Lyn­don and Mur­phy (free) ex­changed points, the sides went on to pro­duce some fine di­rect hurl­ing.

This re­sulted in an ex­change of points be­tween Ryan and Roche (free) to leave St. Anne’s with a 1-7 to 0-4 in­ter­val lead, which would have been greater but for some er­ratic fin­ish­ing.

Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh opened the sec­ond-half im­pres­sively as Si­mon Roche had a shot for goal ex­cel­lently tipped over the bar by St. Anne’s ‘keeper Jack Kelly.

Hav­ing en­dured some pres­sure, St. Anne’s bounced right back into the breeze as Cathal Mur­phy pointed two frees, leav­ing his side lead­ing by 1-9 to 0-5 af­ter 35 min­utes.

The hurl­ing be­came fast and fu­ri­ous as both sides sought scores. Cathal Kennedy and Oisín Dunne (‘65) tagged on points, leav­ing five sep­a­rat­ing the sides en­ter­ing the clos­ing min­utes (1-9 to 0-7).

With Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh push­ing play­ers for­ward in search of scores, they were hit on the break, with Liam Berry send­ing over a long-range point to make sure of the ti­tle for his side.

St. Anne’s: Jack Kelly; Jack Martin, Shane Ryan, Rúairí Flan­nery; Eoin McMa­hon (1-0), An­drew Mo­ran, Dy­lan Mo­ran; Liam Berry (0-2), Finn Ryan (0-3); Bobby Reville, Páidí Doyle, Dar­ragh Browne; Dar­ragh Sin­nott, Cathal Mur­phy (0-5, 4 frees), Paudie Power. Subs. - Conor Kennedy for Sin­nott, Justin McMa­hon for E. McMa­hon, Dar­ragh Jones for Kennedy, Cil­lian Dono­van for D. Mo­ran, Cian Walsh for Martin, also Kevin Byrne (in­jured).

Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh: Ja­son Ros­siter; Jake Stamp, Lee Doyle, Eoin Mon­gan; Conor Blake, Oisín Dunne (0-1 ‘65), Cian O’Con­nor; Sea­mus Or­monde, Dy­lan But­ler; Si­mon Roche (0-4, 3 frees), Michael O’Brien, Eanna Swords; Frank Gal­lagher, John Lyn­don (0-1), Cathal Kennedy (0-1). Subs. - Jack Dunne for Gal­lagher, also Ge­orgie Kelly, J.D. Master­son, Oisín Moore, Matthew Ryan, Ben Harpur, Peter Wick­ham, Daniel Gal­lagher, Aaron Royce, Alex Howlin, James O’Leary.

Ref­eree: Fran­cis Neville (Shel­maliers).

The run­ners-up from Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh.

The St. Anne’s boys cel­e­brate their shield suc­cess.

An­drew Mo­ran of St. Anne’s about to strike the ball away from Michael O’Brien (Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh).

Cian O’Con­nor of Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh breaks away with the ball.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.