Keelin hits late lev­eller for Syl’s

Fingal Independent - - SPORT - RORY KERR


IF this Mi­nor E cham­pi­onship de­cider is any­thing to go by, then we are in for a cracker of a re­play when the two sides meet for a sec­ond time. Two pe­ri­ods of ex­tra time couldn’t sep­a­rate the teams in the end and Syls will be de­lights to have come away with a draw af­ter a last gasp equaliser from sub­sti­tute Keelin Mccor­mack

All things con­sid­ered a draw was the fairest re­sult with no quar­ter given on what was an over­cast and rather mucky day at the broomfields.

Ra­heny who were look­ing for their sec­ond mi­nor ti­tle this month looked to be in the driv­ing seat af­ter Cuan Malone had con­verted from close range to move Ra­heny two points clear.

How­ever Sylvesters re­silience which was to the fore through­out the game paid off as they came back from the death to pull the game out of the bag.

The home side had got off to a flier with Cal­lum Clarke, nephew of Paul, cen­tral as they posted the first four points of the game.

How­ever with Tom O’don­nell trekking back to aid an un­der siege Ra­heny side, the vis­i­tors slowly turned the screw.

And 15 min­utes into the game they were back into the game when cor­ner for­ward, Luke Moreau, con­verted from close range.

How­ever Sylvesters got them­selves stead­ied once more and were within two points of their op­po­nents when a long ball into Sean Mccabe saw the cor­ner for­ward turn his marker.

How­ever his ef­fort shaved the bot­tom of the keeper’s right hand post and although Si­mon Geoghe­gan would then bring the Ra­heny lead out to three points, Ra­heny suf­fered another goal score soon af­ter when McCabe just failed to get a foot on a ball played in by Tom Killeen.

That was was the last ac­tion of a pul­sat­ing first half with the scor­ing read­ing 1-6 to 0-6. And there was no let­ting up af­ter the res­tart with Sylvesters post­ing three quicks scores through Alan Mckenna Byrne, Sean Cur­ran and Paul Downer be­fore Mccabe came through at pace to fin­ish em­phat­i­cally past the keeper.

And with Pearse Clyne play­ing the sweeper role to good ef­fect, Sylvesters con­tin­ued to push on with suc­ces­sive points from cen­tre for­ward, Tom Killeen.

And at the other end, they Sylvesters de­fence was not let­ting much past them with Matthew Bren­ner very tena­cious in the tackle.

How­ever it took a ter­rific save from Luke Darcy to push an ef­fort from Geoghe­gan away to safety.

Darcy would in­jure him­self in the process and de­spite a very com­mend­able dis­play from Clarke who was now dep­u­tiz­ing be­tween the posts, Ra­heny would dom­i­nate the last five min­utes.

And af­ter Conor English had seen a blis­ter­ing ef­fort come back off the cross­bar, Ra­heny would fi­nally find the back off af­ter a stray pass had seen them gain pos­ses­sion in the fi­nal minute.

Their ini­tial shot had been blocked but Robert House was on hand to turn the ball home to leave it 1-11 to to 2-8 at full time.

And while Ra­heny would edge a two points clear af­ter the re­sump­tion, David Den­nehy then found the roof of the net for Sylvesters to put the home side back in the driv­ing seat at the turn­around.

How­ever another Ra­heny goal added a fur­ther twist to the game in the sec­ond pe­riod but Sylvesters dug in deep to force the re­play.

ST SYLVESTERS: Luke Darcy, Matthew Bren­ner, Cil­lian Quinn, Joe Shan­non, Aaron Walsh, Ro­nan Fur­long, Tom Ben­nett, Khrisna Joyce, Luke Mul­dooon, Paul Downey 0-2 Tom Killeen 0-5(0-1f), Pearse Clyne, Sean Mccabe 1-1, Alan Mckenna Byrne 0-1, Cal­lum Clarke 0-2. Subs: Cathal Rainey, Sean Cur­ran 0-1, David Den­nehy 1-0, Conor O Brien 0-1, Ciaran Mur­ray, Sam Mccor­mack, Cian Smith, Keelin Mccor­mack 0-1


Sun­day De­cem­ber 9th AHL1

MHL Div 2 South MHL Div 2 North

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.