GREAT GLASS

STAINED GLASS WORKS IN WEX­FORD CHURCHES BY IRE­LAND’S LEAD­ING GLASS ARTISTS FEA­TURE ON A NEW IN­TER­AC­TIVE MAP FROM THE HER­ITAGE COUN­CIL. JIM HAYES RE­PORTS

Gorey Guardian - - NEWS -

THE Wex­ford works of some of Ire­land’s great­est stained glass artists are in­cluded on a new on­line, in­ter­ac­tive map from the Her­itage Coun­cil cel­e­brat­ing the work of Harry Clarke and other well-known Celtic Re­vival glass artists as­so­ci­ated with fa­mous Dublin stained glass co­op­er­a­tive stu­dio An Túr Gloine.

Win­dows at eight Co Wex­ford churches fea­ture in the Stained Glass Re­vival Map on map-view­ing por­tal her­itagemaps.ie: the Church of the As­sump­tion in Bride Street, Wex­ford; the Church of Ire­land church in Kil­lurin; St. Mary’s Church, Kil­muck­ridge; St. Edan’s Cathe­dral, Ferns; the Church of Ire­land church in Kil­tennel, Cour­town; Christ Church, Gorey; St. Anne’s Church, Kil­lane; and St. Mary’s Church, Bunclody.

Among the map des­ti­na­tions is Harry Clarke’s win­dow at the Church of the As­sump­tion in Bride Street, Wex­ford. Com­mis­sioned by the Faythe House fam­ily of Wil­liam O’Keefe, killed in France in the First World War, at the age of just 21, it de­picts 7th Cen­tury saint Ai­dan, and the war­rior saint, Adrian.

Also in­cluded is the Sor­row and Joy win­dow in Kil­lurin Church, cre­ated in 1910 by Lon­don-born Al­fred Ernest Child, the man­ager at the An Túr Gloine stu­dio on its open­ing in 1903 who tu­tored a whole gen­er­a­tion of tal­ented Ir­ish stained glass artists.

Stained glass work from Cather­ine O’Brien, Ethel Rhind, Michael Healy and Hu­bert McGoldrick com­pletes the Co Wex­ford in­ven­tory.

The new in­ter­ac­tive map is based on the schol­arly work of Ni­cola Gor­don Bowe, the pi­o­neer­ing art his­to­rian and au­thor - and Harry Clarke ex­pert - who died sud­denly in Jan­uary at the age of 69. Her hus­band, Pa­trick Bowe, launched the new ad­di­tion to the Her­itage Coun­cil’s in­ter­ac­tive maps site at St. Can­ice’s Cathe­dral in Kilkenny.

The Stained Glass Re­vival Map is ac­ces­si­ble within the In­dus­trial, Tech­ni­cal and Craft folder on her­itagemape. ie and al­lows users to lo­cate and learn about the works of some of Ire­land’s great­est glass artists through zoom and click func­tions.

Speak­ing at the launch of the map in Kilkenny, Beatrice Kelly, Head of Pol­icy and Re­search at the Her­itage Coun­cil said, ‘Ire­land has pro­duced some of the world’s finest stained glass artists. This new map will in­tro­duce the An Tur Gloine artists and Harry Clarke to a whole new gen­er­a­tion and al­low these win­dows to be viewed by many for the very first time.’

Pat Reid, the her­itagemaps.ie project man­ager, said the ini­tia­tive was made pos­si­ble through the as­sis­tance of the Gloine and Har­ryclarke.net web­sites and ‘joins over 700 maps doc­u­ment­ing over 150,000 points of her­itage and cul­tural in­ter­est al­ready freely avail­able to view on your phone, tablet or desk­top.’

The Good Shep­herd by Cather­ine Amelia O’Brien, at St. Anne’s Church of Ire­land, Kil­lane. St. Brigid, by Hu­bert McGoldrick, at Kil­tennel Church.

Our Lady and Child Adored by St Ai­dan of Fer Church of the As­sump­tion, Bride Street, Wex

All stained glass im­ages (ex­cept Bride Street, above right) by Dr David Lawrence, and re­pro­duced with the per­mis­sion of the Rep­re­sen­ta­tive Church Body of the Church of Ire­land. At the launch of the Her­itageMaps.ie Ir­ish Stained Glass Re­vival map in St Canic Kelly, Head of Pol­icy and Re­search, the Her­itage Coun­cil; Pa­trick Bowe, hus­ban Reid, He­riageMaps.ie Project Man­ager.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.