Mary’s march into fi­nal

Gorey Guardian - - SPORT - JA­SON GOOD­I­SON U20FC in The Rocks


ST. MARY’S (Maudlin­town) ham­mered 14-man Geral­dine O’Hanrahans and booked their place in the Green­star Un­der-20 foot­ball Di­vi­sion 4 cham­pi­onship fi­nal in a wet and windy Rocks on Satur­day.

For­ward Todd Hynes outscored the en­tire op­po­si­tion, hit­ting an ex­tremely im­pres­sive 5-2, and his em­phatic per­for­mance sug­gested that he could’ve al­most beaten the New Ross lads by him­self.

In such bad con­di­tions, one wouldn’t have been blamed for think­ing this would be a tight af­fair, but nei­ther St. Mary’s nor the Geraldines had a de­fen­sive men­tal­ity, de­spite the trav­el­ling side be­ing a man down from the throw-in.

Maudlin­town com­pletely dom­i­nated the first-half and took a four­goal ad­van­tage into the busi­ness end of the en­counter.

Hynes opened his ac­count with two quick­fire goals, both fin­ished low, in­side the first five min­utes. He then turned provider as Jor­dan Dono­van slot­ted into the right side of the net.

The teams traded points, with Diar­muid Ke­hoe open­ing his side’s ac­count, be­fore Hynes’ mishit ef­fort crept into the bot­tom cor­ner and com­pleted his hat-trick be­fore half-time (4-2 to 0-2).

Af­ter the re-start, New Ross scored what would have been con­sid­ered a very good goal in a soc­cer match.

Seán Scully slid a through ball to­wards Ea­monn O’Con­nor who placed it past Luke Ro­gan with his first touch.

Nor­mal­ity was soon re­stored. Maudlin­town took ad­van­tage of their ex­tra man again as Hynes found free space and scored his fourth and fifth ma­jors within five min­utes - both fired ex­cel­lently into alternate top corners.

With five goals sep­a­rat­ing the sides (6-3 to 1-3) with 20 min­utes left, the con­test was all but over.

But with the game open­ing up even more, Michael Kelly and Gerry Cash both took their chances to give the Geraldines some re­spectabil­ity on the score­line.

Gary Cullen fin­ished off St. Mary’s goalscor­ing soon af­ter that mo­men­tary de­fen­sive blip, and they closed out the game with six straight points to give their own score­line a hint of nor­mal­ity.

Hynes got a dou­ble while Mark Doyle, Adam Baziz, Jamie Thomas and Jor­dan Dono­van en­joyed the

space in the Geraldines de­fence as they added to their per­sonal tal­lies. Next up on Satur­day is the county fi­nal against Kilrush.

St. Mary’s (Maudlin­town): Luke Ro­gan; Josh Ka­vanagh, Tre Long, Patsy Whe­lan; Lee Nolan, Mark Doyle (0-2), Adam Baziz (0-3); Jamie Thomas (capt., 0-1), Cian Whe­lan; Em­mett Nolan, Todd Hynes (5-2), Jor­dan Dono­van (1-2); Ben Walsh, Mark Thomas, Gary Cullen (1-0). Subs. - Jack Ke­hoe for M. Thomas (41), T.J. Nolan for Walsh (41).

Geral­dine O’Hanrahans: Dean Ka­tus; Paddy Somers, Gerry Cash (1-0), Ciarán St. Ledger; Seán O’Brien, Enda Kelly, Michael Cullen (0-1); Diar­muid Ke­hoe (0-2), Michael Kelly (1-0); Seán Scully (0-1 free), Dy­lan Wick­ham, Ben Walsh (capt.); Ea­monn O’Con­nor (10), Josh O’Leary.

Ref­eree: Jack Stafford (Clongeen).

Adam Baziz of St. Mary’s (Maudlin­town) has time on his side as Michael Cullen (GOH) looks on.

Jor­dan Dono­van of St. Mary’s is tack­led by Enda Kelly (GOH).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.