Myler mas­ter­class

At­tacker un­stop­pable in the first-half

Gorey Guardian - - SPORT - ALAN AHERNE U20FC in Horeswood


A FIRST-HALF scor­ing mas­ter­class by full-for­ward Jamie Myler se­cured vic­tory for the home side in Horeswood on Satur­day when Dunbrody Gaels ad­vanced to the semi-fi­nal of the Green­star Un­der-20 foot­ball Di­vi­sion 2 cham­pi­onship at the ex­pense of Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn.

The ace at­tacker was vir­tu­ally un­mark­able be­fore the break, with 1-5 of his 1-7 haul com­ing from play as the lo­cals opened up a con­vinc­ing 2-8 to 0-5 lead.

And al­though Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn held their own through­out the sec­ond pe­riod, the real dam­age had been done by that stage and their late penalty goal only served to put a bet­ter gloss on the fi­nal score­line.

The one bright spot for the losers - mi­nus key man Ro­nan Dev­ereux - was the out­stand­ing marks­man­ship of cor­ner-for­ward Mark Byrne who fin­ished with a 1-10 haul, and his pointed free put them ahead in­side one minute.

How­ever, the Horeswood/St. James’ com­bi­na­tion hit 1-6 with­out re­ply be­fore they reg­is­tered again, with Myler goal­ing in the 20th minute af­ter a long ball by Seán Nolan broke into his path via a de­fender’s hands.

He had also kicked five points, three from play, by that junc­ture, even though Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn sought to limit the dam­age by bring­ing cor­ner-for­ward Conor Mur­phy back for ex­tra pro­tec­tion in that trou­ble­some area.

The mar­gin stood at nine points by half-time, with Tommy Walsh fin­ish­ing good work by Jack Ke­hoe and Seán Nolan to add the sec­ond Dunbrody goal in the 29th minute.

Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn net­min­der James White had also made a cou­ple of good saves to deny James Walsh, and his side seemed in­ca­pable of mount­ing any sort of come­back

To their credit, though, they kept plug­ging away and outscored the vic­tors by 1-7 to 0-5 in the sec­ond-half, al­though the out­come was never in doubt.

Dar­ragh Lyons, Seán Nolan and Jamie Myler in par­tic­u­lar were able to step it up when­ever they needed to, and their side led by 2-12 to 0-10 at the end of the third quar­ter.

Mark Byrne’s dead ball ac­cu­racy was first rate for the vis­i­tors, and he slot­ted home their goal from a spot-kick in added time af­ter net­min­der Aaron Mythen was pe­nalised for over­car­ry­ing in his own square.

There will be no re­peat of the county fi­nal ap­pear­ance of their hurlers in Di­vi­sion 4 in Septem­ber when they lost to Liam Mel­lows, whereas Dunbrody Gaels will be at home again when Castle­town make the long jour­ney south on Novem­ber 17.

Dunbrody Gaels: Aaron Mythen; Nigel Dunne-Sher­iff, Ea­monn O’Sul­li­van, Dean Roberts; Cathal Mer­nagh (0-1), Dar­ragh Lyons (0-1), David Mur­phy; Danny Byrne, Tommy Walsh (1-0); Seán Nolan (capt., 0-2), James Fitzger­ald, Barry Walsh-Howlin; Jack Ke­hoe, Jamie Myler (1-9, 0-2 frees), James Walsh. Subs. - Owen Whitty for Byrne (41), John Chap­man for J. Walsh (46), Conor Dal­ton for Walsh-Howlin (49).

Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn: James White; Michael Cullen, Conor Bar­low (capt.), Joe Kelly; Conor Gorm­ley, Evan Kin­lough, Rob­bie Mur­phy; Davy Ke­hoe, Cathal Dev­ereux; Ja­cob English, Oran Mad­dock (0-2), James Dixon; Conor Mur­phy, Lor­can Cum­mins, Mark Byrne (1-10, 0-7 frees, 1-0 pen., 0-1 ’45).

Ref­eree: James Mul­lally (Gusser­ane).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.